AuthorTopic: Tilting Space Ship  (Read 2845 times)

Offline trough

• View Profile

Tilting Space Ship

on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:28 am
By tilting, I don't mean jousting, I'll save that idea for another day; and by space ship, I mean more of a space plane.  I can't imagine how six stubby wings would be of any help in space or atmosphere, but I thought they looked cool.

I'd like critique on the animation, please. The nose of the plane is a red silhouette because I haven't thought of a good nose yet. The palette is DB32.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: Tilting Space Ship

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:46:56 am
The nose and the end of the space plane look like they aren't rotating which would mean that the space plane is rotating exactly in the middle which looks kinda weird to me. Maybe change their shading while it rotates
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 01:38:55 am
The nose is just a placeholder, I haven't thought of how it should look yet. The tail end is supposed to look like six flaps in a circle.  Here I tried to darken the grooves between the flaps. Is it more readable now?

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 01:52:20 am
That's not what I meant (but it looks better anyways). I was talking about the engine thingy(?). It doesn't look like it is shining and I can't really imagine how it is ment to be but it looks static to me.
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 01:59:22 am
Where on the image is the part you are talking about?

Edit:

Are you talking about that bright circle, the hole with a bright light in it?  In that case, I see what you mean, it is kind of oddly stationary and hard to tell that it is a hole.  I am not sure how to indicate this.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 03:47:23 am by trough »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 07:09:54 am
Why wouldn't a spaceship rotate around it's center axis?
Remember it's gonna look different once it moves around.

I also think it looks disconnected from the rest of the ship, because there is a lot of movement around it, while it's perfectly still.
But I don't think it's necessarily the nozzles fault, it's just the way things move around it.

It looks more like a shiny ball than a nozzle though, you need some kind of rim around it.
And worst case scenario you could go for a double nozzle.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 04:01:30 pm
Hi trough,

This is a very nice looking little spaceship you have going, well done!

The reason the front and/or rear of you ship staying stationary looks weird is because of the bizarre movement your wings are following. They are folding and collapsing upon themselves in a movement that is more akin to rolling and yawing at the same time, rather than rolling alone.

If it was your intention to roll and yaw then you will need to shift your jet nozzle left and right with the movement (an easy fix, so I've left it, but if you'd like an example just ask).

Here I've made a simple construction edit of a roll around the centre axis. It is one frame shorter than yours because I ended up making the movements larger and was too lazy to fix it afterward. :-X
I kept the angle between the craft's body and all the wings the same throughout the animation (or as best I could in a quick edit).
Also note that I increased the width of any plane that is approaching horizontal and decreased the width of those becoming vertical as that is what this view would do (3rd person view that is). This is most notable on the turquoise wings.

Please let me know if I've been unclear, or ask anything else if I didn't elaborate enough.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 05:22:19 pm
Bad critique here, but honestly, it looks good enough. If it's for a project, get right on animating the tilt in the opposite direction and then get right on doing other pieces of the project!

It looks really good - it only lacks a world or anything to interact with, etc!
' _ '

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 04:28:50 pm
Well if I think about it Jad is completely right! When I'm working with space things they always looks weird without context (as in static space ship and so on) but with context this would look really good!
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]