AuthorTopic: [WIP] The classic wood house  (Read 2207 times)

Offline washk

• View Profile

[WIP] The classic wood house

on: February 24, 2016, 10:31:00 pm
Here is the first house you can build in my game. I have been working on it on my own for a while. I took some great infos from this topic when I was first working on the first version. Now I'm stuck but I feel there is space for improvement.

Shadows in context sux, but I'm not sure how to handle them yet. I think windows are especially wrong too, not sure what I should do about them.

First version :

Second version :

Third and actual version :

In context in game :
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 11:48:05 pm by washk »
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline washk

• View Profile

Re: The classic wood house

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 11:47:44 pm
One feedback on twitter was that the perspective was off, especially in context. This edit seems a bit better.

Any tips to handle better the windows ?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] The classic wood house

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:08 am
the way I see it that perspective only makes sense for a static image where the house is in middle of screen.
it will look odd (to my eyes at least) to put 2 of these houses next to each other for example as u get a perspective conflict.
but then again zelda looks weird to me at times

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:25:25 am
Yeah you are right. I guess I have to go back to a plain RPG perspective if I want to stay coherent with the environment.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 09:43:38 am
in my opinion yes.
though I have to say ur rendering and colours continue to improve.

for these views I prefer shadows that are cast behind the object and offset to the side a bit as imo thats optimal lighting angle to describe forms.
in ur mockup the shadow seems to defy the lightsource.
its also ok to be painterly and smooth out the shapes of shadows such as under the roof rather than being pixel for pixel from what is being cast.

with windows u can try reducing the highlight brightness and making it just a single pixel line at the bottom as if we're seeing where the edge of the glass meets the frame.

u can also perhaps keep in mind to reduce ur reliance on lines when ur drawing.
umm cant think how to say it right now but for example the solid vertical lines in roof are just too obvious and...liney for me.
sometimes its nice to suggest shapes rather than litterally having a line, which means when u do make solid 1 pixel lines, they carry more weight.

hard to say much else off my phone but good luck with it.

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 10:23:11 am
That's some great advice, and you right, I consider a top right lightsource for the shadows but I'm drawing some assets and highlight with a light from the top.

The advice about line is great too. Thanks.