AuthorTopic: [C + C] Game Character for a platformer  (Read 2459 times)

Offline Druvan

• This is a personal text
    • View Profile

[C + C] Game Character for a platformer

on: February 22, 2016, 12:37:09 pm

So as you can see im trying to learn pixel art.

I'm just wondering what i can improve and do better?
For an example i'm having trouble with the shadow, i dont exatcly know how they should be executed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:25:33 am by Indigo »

Offline Finlal

• View Profile

Re: [C + C] Character thingy

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:44 pm
Right now shadows are too low-contrasted for my taste (except for pants, maybe).
Also, proportions felt kinda strange.
Here's a quick fix.

Offline Druvan

• View Profile

Re: [C + C] Character thingy

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:29:50 pm
Right now shadows are too low-contrasted for my taste (except for pants, maybe).
Also, proportions felt kinda strange.
Here's a quick fix.

Wow, it immediately looks much better!

So now i tried to make the pants more alladin like, i have no idea how to approach this, all im getting is some round pillows on his legs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 04:28:10 am by Indigo »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: [C + C] Game Character for a platformer

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:19:19 am
Hey! Cool character. Did a lot of tweaks, I will walk through them.

When you work with a character wearing anything that can obscure the joints, its always a good idea to draw out the figure to see if you didnt make a mistake. In your case, the figure was elongated by a significant amount in the torso because not only did you not have an evident crotch because of the harem pants, you also had the upper chest/neck covered, and even the belly. All these costume pieces make this a super important step.

I corrected the pose and posture to appear more solidly grounded by spreading the weight farther out between the feet, thickening the chest, and setting the shoulders further apart to give more room between them and the body. Notice how with the narrow shoulders you had to bend the arm like a noodle in order to have it not hug the torso. Now they are allowed to be at ease, resting on the pants.

For the pants I was a bit confused about the blue at the bottom, I just made them into a fabric that is like a cuff. I took inspiration from pleated clothing that allows it to expand past its resting point to show how the pants would billow out as they get towards the knees. (held in place both by the waistband/girdle, and extra material below pinned to the leg with the cuffs. gravity will just make it sag in a nice dallop shape.)

To avoid the head and cloak merging into one lump, i gave some room between the face and the cloth, and angled the cloak opening towards the character facing to help solidify a directional purpose. I feel it is important in platformers for there to be an evident intent from the character, an ambivalent standing idle does not look or feel as responsive.

You had some really good base colors, but they were all a bit too close together. Maybe that look is good for a game set at night time, but i just gave a standard well lit condition for these colors, its easy to alter it from this point. You can solve most of your issues with simple gamma and contrast adjustments, and then reigning the saturation back in.. Skin and hairtones can be separated by shifting the hue for the hair more yellow and the skin more red, and likewise the greens of the shirt are a little tricky because they border the cyan girdle. So naturally the dark green was pushed away from cyan until it became a borderline yellow green, and now has a nice contrast with the cyan.

Changing the cape is purely a silhouette thing, to give him a more imposing presence. The boots could stand a little detailing as the rest of the outfit was so fluid that detailing would not be worth the effort, and I think it helps shift visual weight downwards on the figure.

ah, falling asleep, hope this helped you :blind:

Offline Druvan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 02:43:38 pm
Hey! Cool character. Did a lot of tweaks, I will walk through them.

When you work with a character wearing anything that can obscure the joints, its always a good idea to draw out the figure to see if you didnt make a mistake. In your case, the figure was elongated by a significant amount in the torso because not only did you not have an evident crotch because of the harem pants, you also had the upper chest/neck covered, and even the belly. All these costume pieces make this a super important step.

I corrected the pose and posture to appear more solidly grounded by spreading the weight farther out between the feet, thickening the chest, and setting the shoulders further apart to give more room between them and the body. Notice how with the narrow shoulders you had to bend the arm like a noodle in order to have it not hug the torso. Now they are allowed to be at ease, resting on the pants.

For the pants I was a bit confused about the blue at the bottom, I just made them into a fabric that is like a cuff. I took inspiration from pleated clothing that allows it to expand past its resting point to show how the pants would billow out as they get towards the knees. (held in place both by the waistband/girdle, and extra material below pinned to the leg with the cuffs. gravity will just make it sag in a nice dallop shape.)

To avoid the head and cloak merging into one lump, i gave some room between the face and the cloth, and angled the cloak opening towards the character facing to help solidify a directional purpose. I feel it is important in platformers for there to be an evident intent from the character, an ambivalent standing idle does not look or feel as responsive.

You had some really good base colors, but they were all a bit too close together. Maybe that look is good for a game set at night time, but i just gave a standard well lit condition for these colors, its easy to alter it from this point. You can solve most of your issues with simple gamma and contrast adjustments, and then reigning the saturation back in.. Skin and hairtones can be separated by shifting the hue for the hair more yellow and the skin more red, and likewise the greens of the shirt are a little tricky because they border the cyan girdle. So naturally the dark green was pushed away from cyan until it became a borderline yellow green, and now has a nice contrast with the cyan.

Changing the cape is purely a silhouette thing, to give him a more imposing presence. The boots could stand a little detailing as the rest of the outfit was so fluid that detailing would not be worth the effort, and I think it helps shift visual weight downwards on the figure.

ah, falling asleep, hope this helped you :blind:

I dont know what to say <3
Thanks alot!

I really appreaciate your extremly well elaborated advice and I will try to learn as much as possible from it, although some of the words come as a little unclear to me since i'm not a native english speaker, but no problem! ;D

So I guess i'm going back to the drawing board then and try to learn some actuall techniques :P

Edit: And another question, why is the red color lighter around its arms?

Isnt it supposed to be a part of the capes backside and therefor a darker color?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 03:08:09 pm by Druvan »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 04:37:51 pm
It's the edge of the fabric. Showing it adds a nice effect of making the character appear less like a paper doll that has only a few layers. It turns gradually to let the hem wrap around at the bottom as well.