AuthorTopic: [OC] [C+C] Hi-res platformer mock-up  (Read 5624 times)

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Re: [OC] [C+C] Hi-res platformer mock-up

Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 06:03:15 pm
It's looking great now! The details and colors draw the eye really well.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 08:01:29 pm

rough sketch edit that doesn't follow the grid at all! but I have, in the past, made tile sets with blood sweat and tears, so I know this kind of idea definitely can translate into tiles and tile variations etc!

So I looked back at when you were choosing whether to go with dark centers or filled in tiles and I absolutely am of the opinion that dark center is the way to go. The one instance where I think the filled in tiles works is on thin platforms about 3 pixels thick.

So this is an idea about where you could go when you make variant tiles or variant tile clusters. My experience with working with tiles is that you'd think you'd get the most mileage out of 6 one-tile variants, but actually using variant tiles I've noticed that variations that span larger distances (like 3 tiles tall, an entire 4 tile corner, etc) that have a distinctly different structure than the regular tile set will do much much more to give a more organic feeling to the entire piece.

So I'll go through some of the edits from left to right!

- I think one of the best things to realize about a tileset like this that has a middle piece, edge and corner pieces like this, is that every side can look very different as long as they're bridged together. There is no actual reason that the upper edge and the lower edge should have a similar structure - they'll always be bridged somehow regardless.

So I showed this by making the bottom edges have a stalactite kind of feeling to them. It's kind of an unimaginative solution but it's just to demonstrate that the tileset might become richer if there's a larger variation within it.

- The 3x3 block isn't super sexy. The way it's composed of tiles that bridge toward black without having a full block of black within it makes it feel a bit like a sphincter - here's a perfect variant tile opportunity! having a tile that makes it look like a full shape instead of a butth- .. donut!

- The entire right side is ideas about variant tiles that, in parts that are thin, break up the dark middle and make it feel more physical. I think the large dark void looks good on big tile pieces, but on thinner pieces of ground I think it's a good idea to light up more of the rock to make it feel more solid and physical.

... lots of words, sorry. I hope this will be helpful for you. I had fun with it, anyway, so no matter.

Good luck.
' _ '

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 08:59:12 am
Thanks a lot for the in-depth post Jad! It will definitely help me! The larger tiles is a great idea, and I'll try to use it. Won't have internet on pc for a couple days now(changing providers), so i'll have to post a new version next week.

Edit: hah, nope, i get my internet already. That went faster than expected. :) So i'll post a new version soon

EDIT2:
Ok so here's the new version. I took in the suggestions jad mentioned. Especially the filled butthole rocks, those can not be unseen, haha. Looks miles better. However I didn't go for too drastic changes, like in jads edit, with the bigger rocks and stuff. As I tried it and it felt inconsistent with everything else, because there are no big rocks elsewhere, so they kind of popped too much. I suppose I could eventually try making even more variations with bigger rocks though, so they dont stand out as much.
I also used the stalactite idea, which seems like a great way to vary the tiles a little.

Right now im not really happy with the grass, I guess it looks nice, but it seems kind of off to me. But i'll leave it as is now, and try making the tree or some other larger decoration next. Maybe I'll get some ideas for the grass later. Or if you have any ideas what I could do with it, please help.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 05:00:39 pm by aamatniekss »

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 10:48:01 am
Well, I started on the tree and sketched out all the basic shapes. How does it look? Is it alright, correct? It's not the right colours that i'll be using, just using these to make drawing easier.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 11:04:47 am
I made an edit a little while ago which I forgot to post regarding the colour of the vines and a small tweak to the palette.

The grass was more saturated then, so I'd pick different colours now, but I added extra saturation to the vines to make them look like not-rocks.
I also made one of the rock colours a little bluer to make the foreground feel more like part of the background sky.

Nice tree though and the colours are way better now - look forward to how it turns out.
* may contain misinformation

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 04:54:13 pm
@Ambivorous, well yeah, your edit really helped me with the cliff colours. :) Thanks :) The blue was a really nice touch.

Anyway, I finished off the tree, and am now exploring some more palette options for the grass and tree. But I can't really decide which one I like the most.
This is the original generic green palette.

This is a more 'autumny' palette. The tree I like the most in these colours, but I don't really know about the grass. But still this is my favourite colour scheme.

And this is a more unique and unnatural colour scheme I tried, just for the sake of it. Everythings purple. This one is also nice I guess.

EDIT: Well, while Im trying to decide with which colour scheme to go, I pixelled the clouds. Pretty happy with them I guess

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 08:06:03 pm by aamatniekss »

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 11:11:28 am
Hmm, well I think Im happy with this for now! Thanks for the help everyone! But if you still got any suggestions I'd like to hear them!