AuthorTopic: [OC] [C+C] Hi-res platformer mock-up  (Read 5621 times)

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

[OC] [C+C] Hi-res platformer mock-up

on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:19 am
Hey!
So i've been meaning to make a bit more hi-res platformer mock-up in a while, and I finally feel comfortable enough to make something decent looking.
well, to be fair it's not exactly hi-res as the tiles are 32x32px, but basically the character would be 32x64 and so on, pretty hi-res for myself, as im used to doing 16x16 tiles mostly. :)

Anyway, here's where im at now

I still got all the polishing to do, stuff like AA, and cleaning up. And the colours will probably change too, but I'll appreciate any feedback on this piece, as I want it to look good in the end. :)

EDIT: emm, anyway here's a little edit already. I fixed the top rocks, basically, and made the walkable rocks even lighter by adding another colour.

EDIT 2: Well Im awfully productive today, so here's some more progress. I changed the colours and fixed the walkable rocks again, by removing the highlights from all the rest of the tiles to better emphasize the walkable space. made a little mockup out of everything. Now im thinking if I should do the fade to the dark in the middle of the tiles or not, hmm..

EDIT3:

Guess Im calling this finished for now, if noone got any more suggestions.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:12:25 am by aamatniekss »

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Re: [OC] [C+C] Hi-res platformer mock-up

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 06:15:03 pm
the tiles that get darker in the center a def. better, it doesn't get too repetitive.
It's a pretty good and consistent tileset already, if you're still working on it I'd suggest to throw in some colors that contrast well with brown to make it more visually interesting (some small patches of grass etc).
Maybe work on the tiles on the bottom to make it look less like a squared shape (example).

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 12:09:34 am
I think it would look even better if the black areas inside the rocks were broken up by occasional small patches of rock tiles here and there.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 09:35:50 am
I like the version without the black personally. That it's repetitive doesn't matter once you start breaking it up with variations and set pieces, which you should do anyway.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:00:22 am
@MAVW Oh yes, im definitely adding grass on top, I just first wanted to finish off the rocks. As it will basically be sometimes rocks, sometimes grass, to break up the repetition. :)
But it was a good point to make the rocks less squarish, which I did in this new edit, I think it looks much more natural! :) Now Im thinking of maybe even adding slopes, that could make it look so much better.

@Cherno, yep, added that too! :)

@Gil, hmm well, im liking them both too, but I changed the colours a little in the newest edit, and I think it looks better than the rock filled version. It looks much more interesting. And Im not sure I could pull off the filled look very good, as it lacked depth and Im not really sure how I could fix it. The black middle is an easy fix, and it looks really good, imo.

Anyways, here's where Im at now. The basic rock tiles are finished.  Now I'll focus on adding the grass on top, I guess.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:37:10 am by aamatniekss »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:40:33 am
I agree with the black in the middle..
It creates a nice outline, without it you have this overwhelming pattern of things with nowhere to rest your eyes.

I'm also looking forward to see how the sky develops in the background.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 01:24:23 pm
Both look good to me. I wish I could easily do an edit to show how to make the patterned one, but that'd be way too much work. So yeah, go with the black one if that feels more comfortable, it looks great too

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 10:40:33 pm
I like the black inside as well, reminiscent of metroid. One thing is that the part on the bottom right looks like an angry frog with the parts with the sky peeking through being the eyes.

Offline washk

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:28 am
The "black" inside looks good, but it feels a bit "carved inside the rocks", giving the feeling that the rocks have big holes inside (but maybe that's what you are going for). Tried to make an edit to fix it, couldn't really correct it.

Maybe a little less purple ?
My twitter @pixelwashk | Devlog

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 10:57:16 am
@yaomon17, damn hadn't noticed that, it really does look like an angry frog! But im loving it! :D

@washk, I get what you mean, but I dont think making it darker would make it seem less like a hole, it seems vice versa. But I dunno how to fix it though, making it lighter would make it just pop less, and would look less like foreground tiles. I think im going to leave it as is for now.

I started on the background tiles though,  but Im not sure about the colour scheme for it. This feels fine to me, but im not completely confident

I kind of made a more contrasty version, too. To better pop on the background tiles, but Im not sure I like it better.

EDIT: I started on the grass meanwhile, too. And made some little vines coming from the ground. They're meant as a small non-interactive decoration. So i kind of used the same colours as the rocks on them, to make them less distracting. Again, while I really like how the rocks came out in the end, Im not sure I like the grass.

EDIT2: I got pointed out by cyangmou, that the grass looks like plastic, and it was indeed what I didn't like about it. He suggested to make it less saturated, and that helped a lot imo.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:01:10 pm by aamatniekss »