AuthorTopic: [C+C] Game characters portrait  (Read 2612 times)

Offline ovle

• View Profile

[C+C] Game characters portrait

on: February 23, 2016, 08:18:23 am
hi guys
trying to make portraits for the game characters(characters themselves rather generic, i guess), using db32 palette.
since i'm a beginner i need critique and advices

updated a bit (added background)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 05:26:08 pm by ovle »

Offline ovle

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Game characters portrait

Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 03:53:00 pm

there's two characters for now. any feedback will be very helpful)
at least - these two guys styles seems not to conform to the each other, so what way is beter for me to go?

Offline odedrt9

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 03:59:44 pm
I'm no expert so you might want to wait for a more professional advice, but I think the dithering isn't working here.
shadows are smoother also it kinda read as noise to me.

Offline ovle

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:19:23 am
odedrt9, thanks for reply. i think you are right, especially related to the black guy's neck's area.
but i don't know other way to make transition betweeen light and shadow more smooth with limited palette.
is the dithering bad here because of low resolution, or because i'm doing it wrong technically?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 11:39:59 am
first i question if the palette is holding u back instead of mixing ur own colours.
also it seems like u could use more of the colours instead of just always using what looks like "the skin colour".

then i wonder if u can make better use of the space by making the heads a bit bigger?
unless there is a specific reason they're so small, i think the whole thing would be more interesting and varied if u gave urself more room to do the faces.
i'd also consider drawing the faces from different angles which might help to say something about their character.

not the best example but here's the different mentors from Dune 2 which help show the values and combat style of the different houses u can play.

Offline ovle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 05:43:59 pm
Decroded, thanks for the advices.
the palette is limiting, but it gives me image consistency. i won't get it if i make my own palette. and still before making my own palette i probably have to learn how to use existing ones.
related to the different skin colour - as i understand it's not about race-related skin colour, so can you please show an example?

trying to make bigger faces, using your advice. are they better than old ones?

i don't feel i was able to gave them expression (which Dune guys have a lot, mostly Harkonnen one, i think. btw, does char's hands take a big part of its expressiveness in this case?)

Offline ovle

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 05:26:45 am
i did practice a bit using latest advices, so here are some results