• View Profile

rabbit

on: February 22, 2016, 09:58:55 pm
help my poor rabbit

Offline DavidBowers

• View Profile

Re: rabbit

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 04:59:57 pm
Are you new to drawing? I'm a newbie to pixel art myself, but I can see alot of basic drawing principles that haven't been applied. For example:

1) Look at the lines, the most obvious being the line in his back leg. It is supposed to form a curve, but it is jagged and looks very crude. The grey pixels need to be aligned better, there are many tutorials that explain (visually) how to make lines in pixel art.

2) There is no shadows of any kind, which makes the rabbit look very flat. Just like in drawing or painting, pixel art follows the basic rules of art. If you are going to animate it, and thus have left out shadows to make it easier to do so, that's different, but even so with so much empty space on this sprite I feel it should at least have some texture to indicate some fur.

3) Proportions. I have no kept a rabbit for a long time, but from what I remember of them, your proportions are way off. The head is too small, and by extension the ears. I'm also not sure about the legs.

I think that the best thing for you to do right now is practice drawing a rabbit with pencil and paper, and then when you understand your subject abit more come back to pixelating it. Is pixelating a real word? No idea, but I'm running with it.

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 06:12:05 pm
to me personally, pixel art is a bit counterintuitive sometimes. What helps a lot is to draw on paper before (with your references and everything), taking a picture and scaling it down. This way you'll have a "pixel reference" that is more straightforward to draw from.
I believe this will make it easier for you to follow DavidBowers's advices on lines and proportions, drawing fundamentals are just as important in pixel art.  :y:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 07:43:35 pm
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:36:33 pm
I think just use reference if ur struggling to draw something.
people can help better if u post ur reference here and also show steps of ur process.

Offline transilience

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 02:52:58 am
if you're not a pro at drawing from imagination and memory then don't be afraid to outline trace a real picture for the proper proportions, perspective and anatomy