AuthorTopic: Feedback on animation before pixelling  (Read 2450 times)

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Feedback on animation before pixelling

on: March 17, 2016, 02:39:47 am
So I started doing a random anatomy study in photoshop inspired by The Incredible Hulk and Blanca, and it ended up as a full 8 frame walk animation. Thought I would get a critique before I pixel it and add details. Specifically I am aiming for realism applied to a stylized fictional character. When I pixel it progress will be added below.

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

Re: Feedback on animation before pixelling

Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 04:48:13 am
I really like the walk itself, it's very smooth and it feels like there's some kind of urgency and personality in the movements themselves. Something feels off with the head and left bicep though. The head feels too rigid and stands out against the fluidity of the rest of the body's movements, and the bicep's a bit too fluid, I think because the curve protrudes outward too much after the flex. The form is excellent though.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 05:33:29 am
Is he going to be holding anything? One arm is moving significantly differently from the other. One thing you can do to increase some realism is to delay the extreme positions of the arms so they are offset from the walking legs. Spend more time at the pendulum's extreme ends, and it will give more weight to the swinging of the arms. Currently it can seem jerking from extreme pose to extreme pose - revealing the animation method rather than appearing realistic.

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 05:46:55 am
Thanks heaps for the tips guys I'll try tweaking those things and post it back soon. He'll probably be holding a sword.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 06:37:50 am by rocifier »

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 08:01:32 am
Does this improve on the previous weaknesses?

Offline LeafyMystic

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 08:12:25 am
Yeah for sure! The bicep looked like a rubber ball being squished before, but now it looks like defined musculature, and the head movements are subtle enough to accompany the walking movements. I guess now I wanna ask is if the sword he's going to hold is going to be held in that specific position? Like with the wrist up, palm up, is the sword's blade intended to extend outward on the left side of his body?

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 11:40:59 pm
Update. Switched over to sketchbook pro for the onion skinning feature.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:40:16 am by rocifier »