AuthorTopic: Learning Quest - tilesets, objects, and mock-ups! Help me grow!  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: New here! Some grass!

Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 11:57:51 pm
Looking great! I love the trees although they would look better if you would add some variation between them.
Same with the other stuff.
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 08:23:06 pm
Yo again. ;D

Some thoughts.

Your trees were sparsely populated and they didn't take up much of their four tiles, which made it look like you could walk among them. I assumed this was not the case and made the trees take up more of the space and put trees in between trees to show this was a no-go-zone.

I created a hierarchy of your game objects using contrast and a few other things.
The most important things are your characters. They go all the way from black to white, and have a side view. They take up a lot of their tiles and their large simple blocks make them stick out even more.
Next important thing is objects the player can collide with. The trees are a little dark because i just used rough outlines, but with thin outlines (and potentially no outlines) the trees and chest should be on more or less the same level of contrast. The chest though also uses a lot of it's tile, has a side view and has big, blocky colours to show it is more important than the trees, because it is collidable and interactive.
The trees then are the next important thing, but are shown to be part of the map with the angle and lots of colours gradually going into one another.
Then there is the long grass and mushrooms. Low priority and just there to look pretty, so a 3/4 view and not much contrast.
Finally the ground with low saturation, little detail and very low contrast.

You could take these concepts even further and tweak them to get the desired feel.
Remember that the most important thing about the art is to help the player play the game and focus where he needs to.

I'm really looking forward to what more you come up with. Keep up the good work! :y:
(Also maybe update the topic subject, so that people know you're now working on tilesets and mockups.)
* may contain misinformation

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 11:24:04 am
Looks different. I'd go even less saturated on the grass. Maybe change the hue slightly too and try not to use the background colour in the sprites that go on top of it.

Offline floydshayvious

• floydshayvious
    • agesend
    • agesend
    • View Profile
    • Ages End
Ambivorous:  Great crit ty for that AND the paint to illustrate those points.  Love what you did with the chest!  Thread title changed as well :)

rocifier:  Yep - I'm not quite settled on a particular concept so it's going to shift around a lot haha!  I agree with the colors - maybe a dull red on the mobs - like a tunic or something - to help them stand on against the green.  Also - I keep using dark outlines to make things pop.  I don't think that's necessary - just more mindful colors.

Thanks a bunch as always - be back soon!