AuthorTopic: [WIP] My first building  (Read 4986 times)

Offline Roach

• View Profile

[WIP] My first building

on: February 22, 2016, 12:49:25 am

I've never ever drawn a building in my life. So this is really outside of my comfort zone. I decided to try to mix an old western saloon in with a pagoda.  :D    I have no idea how to draw or texture shingles, (I tried to draw some but I think they look bad.) or texture wood. I haven't added any highlights or shadows yet. My light source will be coming form the left side "off the canvas" and facing a tad towards the building.

I also want this to be a background item, So I probably want to darken the colors.

Also either windows are too big or the door is too small. I haven't decided which yet.

Offline ovle

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] My first building

Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 06:56:51 am
very interesting idea) i bet this if first time anyone seeing pagoda-saloon. but if your goal is to learn - may be it's better to draw these things separately?)

does the clock make sense on it? it probably more fits to townhall or something. also it seems a bit too light/contrast with your wood.
you are right, the door is too small. may be you can make it more 'saloonish' rather than 'oriental'.
is the gray area at the bottom a shade of the 1st stage's roof, or a small elevation?

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:13:47 pm
The clock was just an idea. I kind of wanted to try to fit a mid west clock tower in there. It's not complete by any means. Just there as an idea. Also yeah the gray part is a foundation for the pagoda. I just haven't added the implication of bricks yet. I'm currently working on making the door bigger.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:12:23 am

Still working on it. Thought maybe a paper lantern instead of a clock. I have a long ways to go on this. I raised the height of the door as well.

Here's a version without the tori gate door design.

I can get a little more height on this one which I like, I will probably stick to this suggestion.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 02:14:18 am by Roach »

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:24:04 am
hi!

I think the depth of this would benefit from adding highlight and shadow.  it seems you do have some occlusion here, but imo you could expand on that also.

Cheers!

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 03:41:29 am
@seefour
As stated in my post, I am refraining from adding shadows and highlights for now.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 05:11:49 am
I think it needs a lot more contrast, try squinting your eyes as a test to see if the different parts stand out. It just blends together for me.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 12:44:06 pm
Are you pixeling these on a white background? The colors seem skewed and it's very typical of people working on backgrounds that are too bright. If so, never ever pixel on a white background, go for a neutral color (the new background colors here are specifically chosen for that purpose).

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:12:11 am
@gil Yea I made it on a white background, mainly because i didnt think I would be taking it this far. But I want to get past my fear of drawing buildings, so I'm trying.

I did a bit of work on some shading on the wood and partially the brick foundation. It's not nearly complete but its a start for something. I'm going to try to add some texture after I'm done shading.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 03:16:28 am
some things I wanted to point out:

1) as already mentioned: work on a gray background.
If you want to have more of a painterly approach and work from a photo reference to get your colors and values, or try to get a photograph with fitting colors and weather conditions, it can help a lot.
Another possibility would be to get a stylized piece of art, if you are after a certain style and aren't sure how to stylize colors.
For the edit I pasted a neutral 50% gray and for mine I used a realistic base overcast sky color.

2) The big and important point:
work on the shading of the big forms. Texturing is nice and especially if we start out, we try to overemphasize minor detail (bricks & textures) over major detail, like the big forms of the house.
The architecture of the house can be simplified down in a few primitive cubes and pyramids which cutted tops.
It's really important to indicate plane changes (like in the roof) with value changes.
For my edit I brightened up the roof where the plane gets an angle closer to the horizontal, this emphasizes that those planes are coming towards the viewer and add a sense of space.

3) also consider cast shadows to establish depth relationships between forms. I added cast shadows beneth the roof, to really emphasize depth there and give a clue how massive the roos is.
Actually if it'd be a realistic painting with overcast sky the shadow would be a lot more subtle, but I wanted to communicate the idea what's happening.

4) the lantern (?) is a sphere. It's a bad idea to draw everything stictly from the front and to leave out any perspective. If the lantern is a sphere and no disk, the lines are "wrapping" around it. The angle strongly depends on the horizon and size, but generally I'd suggest that you look up how the horizon is used in a perpectivical projection. Even if it's for a game, using some of these perspectivical effect can communicate towards the viewer a much better understanding of form.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:24:59 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter