AuthorTopic: U-boat Girl  (Read 6028 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

U-boat Girl

on: February 14, 2016, 11:27:45 pm
So I'm trying something I've never done before..
I'm kinda happy with how it turned out, but there are some problematic areas..

I think the hair looks tentacle-ly, maybe if I ditched the heavy outlines?
The hair could probably flow a bit better, I think I just settled for something too quickly.

Also, she kinda looks like a giant with the ship in the background, I'm not sure how I can imply that the ship is further away.
I'm sure there are also a bunch of cluster and shading issues too..

Character Reference

Edit: Split ends to imply hair, better image size and spacing.

Edit2: Bunch of small tweaks, changed the palette..

Edit2: I gotta stop working on this... tweaked sky, changed palette so the water is more turquoise..
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:21:48 am by Seiseki »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: U-boat Girl

Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 02:17:55 am
I kind of liked the colder colors of the first 2nd edit as opposed to brighter saturated turqoise. I feel like it made your bubbles and jellyfish pop out a bit more.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 02:50:53 pm
Yeah, I went a bit overboard..
The ship silhouette looks weird too, with that palette.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:44:36 pm by Seiseki »

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:32 am
1. I think there is too much blue
2. Ship silhouette seems to blend in with scuba gear from a distance
3. The sky's color is too similar to the water, but I don't know what to do about that
4. You could add some distortion to the area below the water because water distorts things

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:21:23 am
1. Well the sky is blue and the ocean is mostly transparent and reflects the sky.. That's why I tried tinting the sea more greenish.
2. I tried toning down the silhouette which fixed this
3. Is it really? Even the over-the-top green one?
4. I'm not sure how I'd do that and still keep it clean. ???

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:42:43 am
Arg, I tried an edit twice now and GIMP crashed on me both times :blind:

Anyways, the perspective looks off to me. In part I think because there's no rule of thirds in play. Horizontal line is too high, the girl is smack in the middle with the boat right on top, and the underwater transition from dark to light looks more like underwater dunes, which messes with the sense of perspective further. I'd enlarge the canvas somewhat, 250x250 or something? Then try to shift the girl to the left and the boat to the right or vice versa and bring the horizontal line down a bit.

Shading and colors are all very nice I think.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:45:03 am by ErekT »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 02:44:08 am
I'm going to have to completely disagree with with most of the points draco had made. Water distorts things true if you are looking at it above land, but for the view you are making it is perfectly fine and nothing should be distorted. If you've ever went scuba diving, and actually been deep within the ocean, shapes aren't distorted when you are actually in the water. (unless its really far away) I would suggest instead just making your sea floor fade away even more harshly and instead of distorting things, soften edges, but I don't really think that's even necessary. I think your blues were fine, and maybe you should honestly darken the U-boat silhouette. his third and first point literally makes no sense to me, the ocean is supposed to be blue, and so is the sky, they are both blue for the same reasons, so obviously the colors are supposed to be similar. I think you should take the colors of the U-boat silhouette from your very first image, and mix it in with your first 2nd edit.
Also you should still be able to see some of the color of the actual U-boat, so maybe think about adding some hints of details with it's colors there.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:46:50 am by Roach »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 04:09:14 am

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 04:36:20 am
@ErekT, I tried roughly using vertical rules of third.. I'd like to keep the centered composition though..

The perspective is kinda wonky, I'm fine with it not being realistic, as long as it doesn't look bad.
I removed some of the gradient "dunes", I think it improved the overall look at lot, made it much cleaner too!  :y:

@RoachThe Ship silhouette should be much better now.
The silhouette is not an u-boat btw, it's a IJN Destroyer. The girl is the u-boat, japanese antromorphism, yes it's confusing..  :lol:

I started animating this and things just escalated.. I was just going to experiment with it "really quick"...  :blind:

I might  add an actual uboat silhouette passing by behind her. Since it's a bit uneventful.
It would have to be at a longer animation cycle though. I'd probably have to make the animation 6 times longer.

Oh and I'll have to animate the hair..  :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:40:19 am by Seiseki »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 05:19:25 am
Wow dude it's looking great!  ;D Also yeah I was going to say, it doesn't look like a U-boat but more of a destroyer, but I refrained because I didn't know if it was some kind of special U-boat.
You should try speeding up when the swordfish turns in the background and maybe even give it a little longer swim.