AuthorTopic: U-boat Girl  (Read 6091 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: U-boat Girl

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 01:19:17 pm

Whew, so back to this again..
I added bubbles and kinda simple looking waves.. there's some weirdness, but I'm not gonna try an fix it.

I'm working on the hair, but I think I need to make it more gradual, the movements should correspond with the body head up and down and not have a life of its own.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 05:09:31 pm
This looks really amazing! Seems kinda slow motion tho'.

Edit:
Nerver mind my brower  just played it slow haha
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:43:30 pm by Pusty »
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2016, 02:54:35 pm
Haha, when you first posted I was thinking, what does he mean? It's underwater so it's supposed to look a bit like slo-mo..

I don't really like how the torpedo highlights the low frame rate, but I can't really increase it at this point and I don't want the torpedo to go slower.

And I've decided I need to animate the clouds, it looks way too static otherwise..

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:39:33 pm
maybe have the skirt lift up a bit revealing her panties  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:06 pm
maybe have the skirt lift up a bit revealing her panties  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hahaha, noo! No fan service here! :lol:
It's like it was made for it though, the downwards motion, it certainly wouldn't be unrealistic..  :-[

I should probably make the skirt move a bit though..
Also, I don't even think she has panties, she has like a wet-suit, with a skirt sewed onto it.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:24:23 pm
Hi Seiseki!

This looks really good. Sadly I only got around to editing this now.

I originally tried to animate the whole thing, but working without layers (and having to simulate them myself) was too much grunt work, so I decided to only edit the first frame to at least get some ideas across.
I edited your clouds, because I thought they were a little lacklustre. I'm not a cloud person though, so do take this with a pinch of salt.
I messed a bit with the lightsource on her suit, because really it looked like you just copy-flipped a lot of it and that's naughty! :P
Then I tackled the hair. I read something about struggling with it, so I focused mostly here. I've cut some of her hair (the bits that were crazy long compared to the rest); added some volume by adding a lot of bunched up, darker hair behind the front stuff; and critically I've added strands to her hair so it no longer looks like tentacles!

As far as animation goes, I was thinking of letting the boat rock up and down rather than just going up one pixel altogether and then down a few frames later (like a seesaw), move the clouds across the screen slowly and animate the hair in a more... jellyfish kind of way.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 09:49:30 pm
Those are really nice fluffy clouds.
I initially drew the clouds to hint at some curvature, then through iteration they just turned more and more fluffy..
I don't want to animated them changing shape, so I'll just draw them fluffy like your edit and move them across the screen, maybe I'll mess around to see if I can have them move down the horizon, or curved somehow.

Cutting some of the hair was a good idea, makes it more focused..
I think the "thin" lines for individual hair strands is a nice idea, but I'll probably do it more subtly. I feel like it adds too much detail.
The hair resting on her shoulders looks a bit like straps, kinda detracts from the shape of her puffy shoulders. I also don't want to mess around with that because I have the arms and hair on different layers and different frame animations.

For the light source, yeah it's definitely an area where I could improve..
Especially since I changed my mind back and forth from lightsource being top center and top left..

Also, I tried having the boat rock up and down by angling it along the waves, but I thought it looked messy, so I abandoned that idea.
It would probably have worked out if I had stuck with it.. Maybe I'll have another go at it..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:52:03 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Finlal

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 11:43:35 pm
I really like the static picture, but animation troubles me.
Frame rate is too low and everything looks very jittery. But if you can't  change it, you probably should pay attention to hair and arms. I'd add more motion and amplitude to the arms movement (made a quick rough edit on one of the arms).

As for hair - they are static most of the time, and on frames 10-11 and 16-17 the fact that they are on another layer seem to obvious.
Also you might try giving torpedo a turn.
Nevertheless, I like what's going on right now. Would be interesting to see what will be in the final piece.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:45:22 pm by Finlal »