AuthorTopic: Kitchen GUI (previously known at the Table Cloth Thread)  (Read 8457 times)

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: Kitchen GUI (previously known at the Table Cloth Thread)

Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 03:35:46 pm
Text 3/4 is best because there is some space between the letters.  Meter 1 is best because it is easiest to count how many points you have.  Readability is really important.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 07:57:11 pm
I agree with using 3 or 4 for the text and meter 1 for the bars for the same reasons as Glak.

I also think you might want to revisit your icons or remove them entirely since you have the words written next to them.

Made the icons more iconic. :crazy:
The idea was simpler and more readable. These are some of the ideas I came up with. Hopefully this helps you out.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 08:34:59 pm
Nice edit Ambivorous  :y:

I don't see anything wrong with having an icon and a word to explain what it stands for however. I mean, plenty of games have both. I'm just concerned that just having the icons won't be enough to convey the meaning I'm going for. I think the best approach is to only use icons but have a window somewhere which explains what the icons stand for just like in Dark Souls:

Still, by the time I read your message, I was coming to give more varieties of the font as this was criticized at other forums for not being readable enough. I still want to display numbers for the stats so this will need to be addressed eventually anyway. You'll notice I have tried many varieties.

I've tried to write the numbers in three different ways. I think the best looking numbers are the ones for whip and armour.

I've tried the text in four different ways. I think the most readable text is for ''armor'' but feel that ''speed'' looks better.

So basically, number-wise, unless you guys have some criticism about them, I'm pretty much set. Text-wise, even if I might not end up using text, for my own progress, I'd like to read which one is the best and why.

Finally, I've tried using the same meter for all stats. I find that if I use the one used in Ambivorous edit, it makes it difficult to know what your score is unless you write the number. If you write the number, it sort of makes the seperations kind of pointless as they're by increments of 1 (as opposed to say, 5 or 10).

Regarding the new icons, I think Ambivorous icons look better than mine except for the my winged boot which conveys speed better than just a normal boot in my opinion.

I also more or less removed all folds from the tablecloth. I think it looks a bit boring now though, I don't know. Worth a try though.

Anyways, here's the picture:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:51 pm
i find the winged boot very hard to read.  took me like 20 seconds to get it, and you want it to be instant.

how about a lightning bolt for speed, a star for special, a plus sign for armor, and egg beater for whip?

or better have them all align with your theme- egg beater for whip, pot for defense, chef hat for special, and mini cookinng timer for speed

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 07:44:51 pm

Decided to go:

Chef hat for armor.

Keep the lightbulb for special.

Keep whip for whip (it's the weapon of the main character, can't change it)

Egg timer for the speed.

I'm not satisfied with the new icons just yet.

What's missing to make this look like a functional GUI in a video game?

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: February 15, 2016, 05:26:15 pm
*Bump*

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 20, 2016, 08:40:55 pm

I've made various alterations to most of your most recent set of icons:

The health icon looks out of place, as if it belong in a set that uses (out)lines on a dark bg rather than what you have now. The cross looks rather thin on its own though, so I widened it as well.

I have no idea what the new armour icon is meant to be. I've made the previous chef hat a bit wider, so it'd read better.

For both special and speed I mostly removed what I felt excess AA. You forgot to AA the border of the special icon.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.