AuthorTopic: good programs to make pixel art  (Read 3079 times)

Offline ninjakiller2223

• View Profile

good programs to make pixel art

on: February 10, 2016, 09:41:31 pm
so yeah... Hey guys i'm new to the pixel art stuff and i was wondering if you know some good programs to make pixel art i'm using pixen right now but i don't think it's very good.... so ... let me know

changed your thread title from "hey guys" to an excerpt from your post - Atnas
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 11:23:27 pm by Atnas »

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Re: hey guys

Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:14:48 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong

Offline doimus

• View Profile

Re: good programs to make pixel art

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:45 am
Cosmigo ProMotion has been recently updated. Now it has proper layers (photoshop style), pixel-perfect drawing and with already present awesome tile mapping engine and palette editor, it's the best pixelart app you can have. If you run on Windows that is. ::)

If you don't, there's the close runner-up Aseprite which is multiplatform and has great animation features. Not so great (read: not existing) support for palette editing, dithering or tiles. But it is in quite active development.

I think that's the only two pixelart oriented drawing apps that have been updated recently. Others like Graphics Gale and Grafx2 are in a development limbo of sorts...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:20:23 am by doimus »

Offline Kasumi

• View Profile

Re: good programs to make pixel art

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 05:27:36 pm
Aseprite does have support for palette editing. Quite good support, in fact. Guess I'll mention you can dither with a custom brush in it as well:

You can set the brush to a hotkey for easy access and save it across sessions, it doesn't need to be created every time.
Edit: It also works with the fill tool:

But it's true it doesn't have any kind of direct support for it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 05:45:53 pm by Kasumi »
I make actual NES games. Thus, I'm the unofficial forum dealer of too much information about the NES