AuthorTopic: Need a coder for either a Dragon Warrior or Metroidvania game project, 8 bit.  (Read 2564 times)

Offline AP8bit

• View Profile
Hi!, this is me, a noob graphic designer, musician (a good one!), looking for a coder who wants to join me.

I like the 8 bit era of videogames, so I'm deciding to either start designing a game like Dragon Warrior (Or Dragon Quest) or Metroid (Metroidvania), both concepts would be 8 bit from beginning to end.

I can take care of the graphics and specially, music (heavy metal guitars, shred stuff, I record from my home studio, pro stuff) and design sprites, gifs, menus, maps, everything graphics, ALL BY SPRITES.

But I don't code, so I'm looking for somebody who want do it, in the end it would be a 50-50 project/company/whatever this is, I intend to release this project to some platform (maybe IOS?, steam?) to make the game profitable for both of us, but that would something to discuss once somebody wants to participate on this.

About the games:

I know and I've played enough of both RPG and Metroidvania to know the concepts to cover, so here I go:

1.-Dragon Warrior style: It would be NES like, not 16 bits, kind of simplistic, based on pixel art and plot.

With a huge overworld, different towns, weapons, as I said, I'll make sure the 8 bit aspect remains there.

Music, however, won't be chiptunes (because I want to appeal gamers to good hard rock, guitar tracks instead).

2.-Metroidvania style:  Ever heard of Environmental Station Alpha?, that's basically it.

Minimap, bigger than that game, or Metroid for the same matter.

Music would fit better here.

Both projects would be 8 bit.

3.-If we worked on a mobile game, I was thinking in some platformers where you have levels to choose from and unlock them as you go (Like Angry Birds), to start thinking as a profitable game later.

Either way, that's what I was looking for, as I said, sprites, gifs and specially music would be my main contribution to the game, I can take care of the plot as well, but maybe we should work on it together.

I'm not planning on working on it right now, just started seeing what can and can't be done, so if you are just starting with coding, maybe you feel interested, or you could ask later when you feel more confortable, I wouldn't say we'd be a company, but a team or something??

Well, ciao.

http://piskel-imgstore-b.appspot.com/img/c535930f-cc5d-11e5-9444-65a58d73238f.gif

Offline Kurushi

• View Profile
As someone schooled in computer science, and researched in game design (although only as a hobby...) I'd be interested in joining helping you out!

I have a bit of experience with music as well. Mostly "in box" though, so not so much with the real instruments.

Although, I feel like I should mention RPG and Metroidvania games are pretty complex compared to other game types. I have no problem working on either type of game, but how long are you expecting game creation to take? There's a reason Final Fantasy and Castlevania games took years to make even in the 80s and 90s...

Offline AP8bit

• View Profile
Thanks!

Well, I guess it's gonna depend on the coder as well, so whatever you think would be easier to code should work too, like a match-3, a plattformer, I'm ok with that, I'm still into the 8 bit stuff (besides being a little bit easier to design + I don't really have much experience myself), so whatever it works!

Regarding time, since there's no budget and I guess we'd need to define a goal, no time limit, maybe a small project could work, I don't know.

Offline Kurushi

• View Profile
Well, my email's Kurushi@gmail.com if you want to drop me a line. Let me know the best way for us to meet up (or at least what works for you), and we can discuss some ideas. And so you know, I have no problem working on a large-scale project like an RPG or Metroidvania, but actually finishing that kind of game takes a lot of determination and motivation.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty bad about keeping my motivation high when I'm by myself, which is part of why I'm responding to your message. I like games. I like designing and brainstorming games. But I work best when I have a team (or just another person) working with me. If you're serious about making something, I'll do whatever I can help out.

(And I'm cool with 8-bit styled art. I prefer 32-bit myself, but I'm not an artist. So I'll let you deal with that! ^_^')