AuthorTopic: The monster might get you! (AA test).  (Read 6414 times)

Offline Fredde

• View Profile

The monster might get you! (AA test).

on: September 03, 2005, 07:38:39 am

I just drew something and then I AA:ed it.

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile

Re: The monster might get you! (AA test).

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 02:07:39 pm
It does look pretty good, but the AA sticks out too much
I.....am......me............

Offline Fredde

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 02:35:01 pm
It does look pretty good, but the AA sticks out too much
Thanks, I know but I'm pretty new to AA:ing.

Offline Shinyarinka

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 04:18:21 pm
Well, let's see . ..

First off, with only one level of AA, it's hard to smooth things.  Unless you're trying to conserve colors, I'd suggest using two or more shades of AA.

Secondly, you're overusing the AA.  You've got excessive amounts which stand out and detract from the figure.  Sometimes, less is more.  AA is a subtle effect.  When you start noticing it, it's too much.  It's difficult to find the happy medium between jaggies and over-AA, but a little trial and error will go a long way.

Thirdly, never give up and sue the excuse that it looks bad because you aren't good enough.  The only way to get better is to push yourself.  Spend time figuring out the best method.  If it's as minor a detail as a single pixel being black or white, one is going to look better than the other.  After enough trial and error, you know from experience which choice is the better one.  A "good" pixel artist is simply one who knows what does and doesn't look good.(Yes, this rambling has a point somewhere, I think . . .)

Also, not sure if you know this or not, but the thumbnail/navigator/whatever is your best friend.  Keep an eye on that little box and you can get a feel for the effect of each individual pixel.

Offline Fredde

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 04:49:27 pm
Well, let's see . ..

First off, with only one level of AA, it's hard to smooth things.  Unless you're trying to conserve colors, I'd suggest using two or more shades of AA.

Secondly, you're overusing the AA.  You've got excessive amounts which stand out and detract from the figure.  Sometimes, less is more.  AA is a subtle effect.  When you start noticing it, it's too much.  It's difficult to find the happy medium between jaggies and over-AA, but a little trial and error will go a long way.

Thirdly, never give up and sue the excuse that it looks bad because you aren't good enough.  The only way to get better is to push yourself.  Spend time figuring out the best method.  If it's as minor a detail as a single pixel being black or white, one is going to look better than the other.  After enough trial and error, you know from experience which choice is the better one.  A "good" pixel artist is simply one who knows what does and doesn't look good.(Yes, this rambling has a point somewhere, I think . . .)

Also, not sure if you know this or not, but the thumbnail/navigator/whatever is your best friend.  Keep an eye on that little box and you can get a feel for the effect of each individual pixel.

Thanks for the tips, I actually did this fast because I had 20 minutes to get ready for soccer match.I usually use 2 or 3 AA colours.
I tried this AA:ing at 1280x1024 and It looks pretty ok at that resolution.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 04:52:12 pm by erikl »

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 04:58:23 am
Shiny touched up on pretty much everything I could comment on the subject, however something I noticed is  that your upper AA color is lighter, which, in the situation of excessive black, is illogical.  AA is to make something smooth, in this case, I assume you took light into consideration, however if the AA color up top is lighter, then what its aaing should be lighter.  Keep going at it, head over to spriteart.com, or check out Nem's tutorial(link not found, I'm sure on the forum browsers could guide you there) if you need anymore information :)

Offline Fredde

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 10:44:23 am
Shiny touched up on pretty much everything I could comment on the subject, however something I noticed is  that your upper AA color is lighter, which, in the situation of excessive black, is illogical.  AA is to make something smooth, in this case, I assume you took light into consideration, however if the AA color up top is lighter, then what its aaing should be lighter.  Keep going at it, head over to spriteart.com, or check out Nem's tutorial(link not found, I'm sure on the forum browsers could guide you there) if you need anymore information :)
Thanks for the comment.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 05:32:19 pm
What resolution did you target it for? AA matters less on high reses, most pixel art is for quite low resolutions.

Also, consider using a screen mode that has square pixels (4:3 aspect ratio), as most screen modes are 4:3; otherwise your pics may look slightly stretched or squashed to others.

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.