AuthorTopic: How to shade fur?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

How to shade fur?

on: February 03, 2016, 01:06:11 am
Well I'm really no good at shading hair haha

Well I was trying to pixel something as I haven't in a while and while doing so I came to realise that it looks completely unfinished if I don't shade it.
And as I have no clue about material shading in general I though it would be something worth asking. (Although I tried as you can see on my pathetic fur shading try)
Note that this means that this isn't finished in any way and I'm well aware of some issues with copying my reference. (But as it's late I though why not post it and after some feedback work on it. Given that someone gives feedback lol)

So I would be happy if someone takes their time to tell me how I should do this. Of course every other critic is appreciated as well ^^

Reference:

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 07:24:34 pm by PixelPiledriver »
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: How to shade fur?

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 03:08:02 am
Tricky at this scale.
Double ur canvas and enforce the light source, exaggerate it beyond the reference.
Once u get to this point don't render every bit of fur, simply disrupt the edges of the groups of colour that represent light and dark...

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:52:50 am
Hey, Pusty. Glad to see you're keeping on and doing some reference studies.

Decroded is quite right.
I took the honours of enforcing a light source (using the reference).

Trick to fur is that you have large clumps of fur one colour and make the edges a little spiky to imply the fur.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:16:12 pm
Thanks for your responses! :D

@Decroded
I see but I can't really imagine it hmm. Also I wanted to make it this small as a practice. I might want to look into it later

@Ambivorous
Thanks for you edit! It helped me quite a bit.

Well at least I think it's better than before ^^
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 10:49:02 pm by Pusty »
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 07:07:15 pm
Much better, Pusty! Keep in mind that contrast for all your pieces.
I'd even suggest doing some value studies to get used to how light and dark things really are.

One thing though, the fur on the chest is suffering from an embossed effect. It looks like it's flat in the middle basically. Don't just use the middle value colour to separate the bright and dark. Sometimes those meet and sometimes there is no middle value. Look at my edit where the dark and light are sometimes touching. Let that happen.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 08:36:28 pm
Thank you! How would you do value studies tho' is what I'm asking myself. Sounds interesting

Hmm I'm not too sure if this is better. But I think I made the contrast bigger
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 10:31:44 pm
Liking the extra contrast. This version has much more volume. Well done!
Does feel like a different time of day and doesn't match the reference image, but those things don't matter. It's all about that volume.

So value studies are simple. Take an image, make it greyscale (use perceptual greyscaling if possible), and then copy it. Don't use the colour picker and keep your images separate. Then just draw what you see in what brightness you see it. Limit yourself to one hour or some similar size chunk you can easily manage.
The idea is to remove the confusion of hue and saturation from the mix and just focus on the values/brightness. IRL saturation and hue affect value, so perceptual greyscaling takes that into account.

Here is an album with all of my value studies using the fancy new BB code.

[imgur]Sqei1[/imgur]

Sometimes they suck, and sometimes they are incomplete, and I didn't do mine every day because I'm naughty, but keep it up and you will become amazing. To help, post in The Daily Sketch for extra motivation.

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:59:15 pm
Thank you very much for your help! I'm gonna try this in the next time. Looks like I can learn much from it.

Well I did some work on it and I think it's quite good so if noone as any critic anymore I will call it finsihed (Although I'm always happy to hear more) ^^

(Also thanks to PixelPiledriver for editing my post as I haven't even realised that I used just the link thingy and not the one for images lol)
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:32 am
Still needs work.
There are jaggy clusters and the eyes have become muddy and blurred.
But to fix that i think u should adress the colours first as they are tied in that (clusters nteract differently when colours are changed meaning have to re-asses).

Overall the orange looks too saturated.
But what ilike to aim for is varying levels of saturation and "contrast" (differences in h/s/b between clusters).
Ambivorous nailed some really nice colours IMO.
Certainly this os subjective to tastes and its not the only way to do it but regardless, I'd encourage u to analyze the colours he used there.
U can do this by laying them out in a row and opening colour picker then use eye dropper and pay attention to the jumps in values for HSB.
In addition pay attention to how he clustered and placed these colours next to each other.
Its good to do this alot with lots of nice pixel art references (dont use photos they lie because of noise).

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 02:09:31 am
Gave the furry look a bit of a shot. Not sure if it is super successful, but I think this approach kinda works.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.