AuthorTopic: Eleflight  (Read 6083 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Eleflight

on: September 21, 2006, 09:30:13 pm
Wow, it's good to have the boards back. Big thanks and congrats and.. love and kisses and all that good shit to all the admins... the amount of effort put into this really shows, and it's really paid off far as I'm concerned. :-*

Anyway... I have an art:

<-Old/New->

Not done... not nearly, but I wanted to put something up and I think it's at the point where I need some outside opinions, anyway.
Tear it apart, please.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 04:39:49 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Eleflight

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 09:36:18 pm
The way those stars bend is unappealing too me, and there seems to be too much of a divide between the elephants rear and front with the dark blue from his ear to hind leg.

I like style of this. What was your inspiration/reasoning for making the flying through space naked man with a hugely trucked pachyderm?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 09:46:48 pm
the bending stars are  :y: :y: :y: , my overall favourite part, only crit i can come up with is the stommach/ribcage of the guy- it looks very strange

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 09:47:20 pm
He means, further reasoning besides "IT'S AWESOME"  :lol:

I have no significant critique, everything I like about your art is present, stuff I disliked in the past are not. There's a little line by the elephant leg missing a single pixel of aa. That is all.

Werewolf

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:57:29 pm
Reminds of the night kitchen book (banned in some places). The kids hands (wrists really) look to deformed. Move the stars to the right like 3 pixels too.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 05:02:32 pm
Minor update, first post. Thanks for the crits, guys!

GS: I tweaked the stars, but I have the feeling that no amount of tweakage'll change up your mind on the matter :P. I hopefully rectified the divide problem. Inspiration? Reasoning? Yes... those sound vaguely familiar... Dunno, to be honest, but I'll make something up.

I actually, initially, only had the naked man flying, then decided he looked rather dream like and thought "how can I distance this from reality even more?" The answer, of course, was (as it so often is in life) "elephant". The stars were an after thought, sort of. I decided, again, in keeping w/ the "dream" theme, that he should be chasing the stars, as it were.

Vedsten: Hehe It does looks a bit odd, I suppose... Then again, his anatomy all-around is pretty far gone, far as realism goes. I was going for more of a symbolic thing with the anatomy (that is, it's recognizable as human, but clearly is very distorted). I'm more than open to suggestions, though. How d'you reckon I go about it?

Helm: Knowing that you're one who gives and values serious critique, I take that as a pretty significant compliment (to understate things :P). I wasn't exactly sure which line you were referring to, but.. I think I got it. Yes?

Werewolf: Never heard of that book; I must look it up now. The wrists were intentional, (see the reply to Ved's comment on ribcage) but if it looks bad, I'm, again, more than open to suggestion. Heh, A big part of art is looking good, after all.

Thanks, guys. Hoping for more crits, as usual. More, I say!

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:01:03 pm
Darn you, with your awesomeness.
Firstly, Nice border, I think it works really well. The style, idea and colours work wonders, very soft, and bright, nice mood.
Just the rear hind elephant leg seems maybe a bit too dark.. maybe it's just me.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:09:47 pm
Really like this, ace colours, ace pixel technique, but I have one substantial crit. Tangents!

You have quite a few massive tangents going on and they flatten the piece.

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dan

• "Haha The Man"
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 11:41:15 pm
As usual Tremulant another great piece. I love the colours and the style! ;D I love the actual drawing aswel. There is just one small thing that is bugging me. The mans belly seems a bit out of... Erm well if you look at what looks like the spine and then look at the ribs and belly it just seems a bit off. Just something for revising. Great piece yet again and i love it!
That's the way the cookie crumbles. - Do the bug bob.     - Woot!

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 11:51:30 pm

Vedsten: Hehe It does looks a bit odd, I suppose... Then again, his anatomy all-around is pretty far gone, far as realism goes. I was going for more of a symbolic thing with the anatomy (that is, it's recognizable as human, but clearly is very distorted). I'm more than open to suggestions, though. How d'you reckon I go about it?

I get the distorted thing, yet i think the the ribcage/stommach area looks like..... well, a merge between a ribcage and beer/pregnant stommach. I suggest you either remove the  vertical rib shading and move the whole thing a coupple of pixels to the left (so i looks like a stommach), or move it a few pixels to the right so the ribs are situated in a believable fashion