AuthorTopic: The History of Pixel Art  (Read 43988 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: The History of Pixel Art

Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 10:03:11 pm
Your screenshot for SuperPaint is clearly from a Macintosh which is more than a decade later. So even if it is from a much later version of that program I don't think it's very relevant to the timeline.

EDIT: according the the descriptions on Wikipedia they don't appear to be related at all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 10:06:20 pm by surt »

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 10:14:32 pm
Oops. You'll have to forgive these slips, my first computer ran MS-DOS and I missed the 80s.
Maybe something from this page would work better.

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 11:13:14 pm
I think we should keep Eboy, as Gil said, even if they did more harm than good to the community it doesn't disqualify them as historically relevant pixel artists.

They may have a very limited technique to their work but it's undeniable that they pushed pixel art to a more mainstream view beyond the "videogamy art style" view pixel art has.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 07:38:45 pm
It's insane to say eBoy didn't leave an impression on the popular perception of pixel art. It's like, a thousand times more influential than the cultural footprint of pixelation.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 11:02:38 pm
The history of crapxels is deeply intertwined with that of pixels. Without the one, the other could not exist and vice versa.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #45 on: February 08, 2016, 08:42:14 am
I think it was somewhere around Habbo Hotel that people started realizing isocrap wasn't the promised land :D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 23, 2016, 02:31:04 am
Perhaps consider cellular automata, especially the game of life (1970)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: February 24, 2016, 12:31:51 am
Thanks for the featured tag on the front page. I'll update this list soon, I've been bogged down with commissions the past couple of weeks. Thanks to all for the contributions. In addition to the suggestions y'all brought up, I also considered calculator games... anyone know about 'em?

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #48 on: February 24, 2016, 12:43:35 am
some of the suggestions are a bit of a stretch to be considered a part of pixel art history in my opinion.  Such as the game of life.  The only thing that shares with pixel art is the square grid, but it has absolutely no properties of "art".

As for calculator games, the few most popular ones when I was in school were the PuzzPack collection (Block dude, Dino Puzzle, Puzzle Frenzy, and Pegs), and the Phoenix series.

Interesting factoid I learned today, the original Gameboy used a modified version of the same CPU that most graphing calculators of the time were using (including the TI-83 if i'm not mistaken)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:46:12 am by Indigo »

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 24, 2016, 06:31:54 pm
This is a very valuable project.

Here are some moments I think are worth noting.

1999 - 2004

16color.com accumulates 40,000 user-submitted animations. Who else remembers this?

They had an app for making animations, which could upload them to the site, which hosted them as gifs. Everything shared a 16 colour palette and a fixed resolution. Tons of amateur doodles, a few absolute gems, lots of disgusting and offensive cartoons, some interesting multi-part series and animated tile things (exploiting the listing pages' layout that showed animated thumbnails in a grid). Pre-Youtube crowd-sourced animations for the masses.

Then it unceremoniously shut down, deleted everyone's stuff, and released a 'best of' DVD.

All proceeds go directly to the development of 16 Color's next version coming in 2005.

... yeah, that never happened. (Someone else should step in and make a spiritual successor.)

2008-2013(?)
imageboard.net - another accumulation of user submissions, sadly lost to the ages. Some pages are on the Wayback Machine. Not to be confused with a site like 4chan. It was basically a forum without text: threads with only images as replies to images. And not uploaded images, but ones drawn with the site's pixel-art-oriented Flash drawing tool, usually incrementally modified from the previous post. Fixed resolution, unlimited palette.

Largely anonymous, although users could make accounts. But it didn't show usernames--no text, remember!--just pixelly avatars.

Everything was posted with a share-alike Creative Commons license, and user-rated for quality and offensiveness.

Another site that could use a modern reboot.

Mozilla's Firefox 3 is released, with rendering behaviour that automatically anti-aliases zoomed images. Pixel art enthusiasts are pretty much the only people on Earth who complain about this change. [1] [2]

This is largely fixed later: current browsers including Firefox generally anti-alias images by default, but offer some unofficial CSS features to allow site authors to switch it off and render fat pixels.

Apple releases the iPhone 4, with 'Retina display': 4 times the screen resolution density. Pixel art hit again with unwanted smooth-scaling rendering.

A few kinda negative points. Call it History of the Downfall of Pixel Art :crazy:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 09:23:45 pm by Basketcase »
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.