AuthorTopic: Animated soldier  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Shanenopolis

• View Profile

Animated soldier

on: February 01, 2016, 11:05:19 am
This is a 32px soldier I made as an experiment. Just an outline to get the animation right before any detail is added. He stands, aims, runs, takes cover, shoots, and reloads. Just curious what you guys think, or if you see any notable areas of improvement.

This is the run animation isolated after I made a couple small tweaks after the other gif.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: Animated soldier

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:31:35 pm
Hello,

The snappy movements work pretty well but they also obscure some issues. I tried a quick edit of the run cycle where I basically added a couple more frames and cleaned up a few others to get more fluid motion.

Offline Shanenopolis

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 02:53:18 pm
Looks good, Erekt. I'm gonna have to examine the new frames to see if the same sense of urgency can be reproduced.

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:02:38 pm
Maybe you could use some frames from ErekT's edit, that way it keeps the sense of emergency from the original but without the snappy movement.
I believe that a frame for the mid 'changing leg' movement might do the trick.

Offline Shanenopolis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:33:31 pm
Ok, I've incorporated Erekt's two additional frames (now 8 in total) into the original animation, and tweaked the timing to give it the snappy look I was going for. I should point out that this is intended for 3/4 view gameplay (I'll be doing the up and down animations as well), and so the left and right feet intentionally land on different planes.

I think it looks pretty good!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 06:54:33 pm
That looks GREAT!  You incorporated the additional frames very well without compromising the feel of urgency

Offline coin_hunter

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 06:28:48 am
I like the action. It looks smooth. But I do not think a soldier would run with his gun like this. The gunpoint should always be held downwards.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 10:41:27 pm
I like the action. It looks smooth. But I do not think a soldier would run with his gun like this. The gunpoint should always be held downwards.

While you are right. The resulting animation would look far less interesting. It is good to sometimes stray from reality a bit.