AuthorTopic: Fairy in the Forest [WIP] [C&C]  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Fairy in the Forest [WIP] [C&C]

on: January 30, 2016, 10:16:53 pm

This piece is a lot of things to me.
One is of course practice. I'm also trying to get my head around some styles and experimenting with a few things.
I do also actually have the intention of making this into a game, but it will be very basic and will likely take me ages. It would be more of an art demo than a game really.

I'm keeping Astraldata's composition in games thread in mind while creating this as well, so do keep an eye out to crit on that.

So I'm looking for crit on everything really. Some things I've done intentionally, but there are a lot of things I'm doing just wholly wrong.
It's still very early WIP, so it might be difficult to critique, but I always read all posts and welcome any ideas, so please add whatever you think might help.
Worst case I'll just carry on posting my updates with descriptions and hopefully that'll help people in the future.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: Fairy in the Forest [WIP] [C&C]

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:47:58 pm
so we talked a bunch about this one in slack so I'm going to reiterate here for the sake of the thread:

i think in terms of composition like you're talking about; you're fine here. color contrast is clear enough to immediately differentiate between ground and background. basically if I was playing this as a game, I wouldn't be confused. But once you add stuff like walls, pits and platforms, etc, I think there will be more to comment on regarding composition.

anyway character stuff: quick sloppy edit mostly just to clean things up a bit:

not easy for me because the style is very different from what i'm naturally inclined to do, so take my changes with a grain of salt. the far hand i basically just flipped your other hand because I'm lazy; i think that the horizontality of it now is a little strange is all. didn't touch the wings; looks like you've got some kind of transparency effect or something going on? i THINK I like the way you did them tho; it looks strange/incomplete here, but it could be a neat effect once the character is animated.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 10:53:02 pm by Wes »

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 06:27:47 am
Great pose, very feminine.  I disagree with Wes's edit.  I see wings on one half of her but not the other.  Are they supposed to be at an angle where we can't see them?  I think that we would see them at least partially.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 05:41:21 pm
Thanks for the edit, Wes.
Here I've tackled the things aside from pose. Added wings on the other side as well, Glak.

Kept the shading on the legs simple to allow for easier animating.
As far as pose goes, I don't mind changing it, but I just want to be certain that the pose is honest to the character's personality, so I'll ask for reasons behind the change, Wes, and for anyone else to compare the two and give descriptions of how each describes her differently.

Small update.

Was unhappy with the way I was doing the facing slope, so I've made the rock formation more connected.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:33:38 pm by Ambivorous »
* may contain misinformation

Offline Advent

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 03:24:35 pm
I would advice on looking into Wes's sprite and check difference which is really big. He fixed main visual problems in your character and made it look really amazing ! Nice concept though. Is she a fairy or Sylph ?

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 05:09:49 pm
i also disagree on we's edit as it takes away the dynamic pose and i dont see any significant anatomy fixes.

im posting this here just in case it may be worth something

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 08:57:19 pm
nice character  :y:
was interested to see her take her weight off the rear foot in case it made her look a little more floaty and fancy-free  :lol: