AuthorTopic: I am starting to learn ... by drawing apples ? I guess  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Advent

• View Profile
Hello, my name is Artur, I am 22 years old IT University of Technology student. I have been pursuing dream of being a independant game developer since I laid my eyes on Open Tibia Server engine and made my own stuff and enjoyed the process. I don't have much of experience with an art as I was only writing poems in highschool and started with learning how to program stuff, script, code and solve various problems but I am not completly new. I have been creating my own characters based on some base uploaded in the internet long time ago, making some final fantasy VII stuff which was for my FF VII world based Open Tibia Server Client and so on. It's been a while but I have decided that it's the best time to start it over again as I learned programming and my dreams came to me closer than ever. I thought that it would be a good idea to start with something simple, like an apple ! I made some of apples (about 20 ?) and I am going to post them and I am looking for critique in order to improve my pixelart and become really good at it in future.

tldr: I am new ! Started 4-5 days ago but I have been doing some of pixelart before. My goal is to make cool looking sprites for independant games. I am looking for constructive critique and wish you best luck. May the force be with you and I hope that you won't be blinded by level of badness of my sprites  ;D

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: I am starting to learn ... by drawing apples ? I guess

Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 04:47:01 pm
I really like the last pear as its color choice is good and shading looks fitting.

The first apple has a weird leaf and its shape looks off.
The second one has nice colors and the leaf looks better but the shape of the apple looks even weirder.
The third one looks like a tomato to me (the shading on the bottom right looks off).
The fourth one looks like a apple to me but again the shading in the bottom right looks off.
The fifth - eight look don't look like apples to me.
The seventh one looks weird as it is exactly 90° spinned.
The eighth one looks weird as the wood thing is in completely symmetric and the colors don't have enough contrast as well.
You first pear has at least one unnecessary color on the leaf. Also the colors look off as they don't have enough contrast on some places.

Hope this helps ^^
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Advent

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 05:06:59 pm
Thanks for your opinion ! I definitely agree with you. You skipped sixth I think ? Work on shapes and make sure that they are good to go as I start shading, work on light (hard part !), try to use interesting colors and make colors have enough contrast with each other. I AM REALLY BAD WITH PERSPECTIVES ! Points noted ! Thanks once again for pointing out these things, I appreciate it, you are awesome, make sure to drop in and see how I improve in future (after my finals I will make sure to draw at least 4 hours daily) !

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:58 pm
read apple section first.  Also, for lesson in banding, see here- section 4 things to avoid > banding http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:56:55 pm by Friend »

Offline Advent

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:32:41 am
A lot to read, a lot to learn. I read everything and even saved this as I will probably come back to these pointers really often to avoid mistakes I made and try to do it better. I am very thankful for your detailed critique and giving me good examples. I will try my best to improve and add new pixels after my finals. Thanks !
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:59:32 am by Advent »