AuthorTopic: Working on a Font (with Pixelation)  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Working on a Font (with Pixelation)

on: January 30, 2016, 04:43:10 pm

There it is!

Could you tutor me, O Great Sensei of Pixelation and guide my way? Is the font coherent? Does it look good? No? Which letter doesn't and why?

Do teach me, Pixel Master, for I am willing to learn.

Offline MAVW

• hellomavw
    • View Profile
    • pixelmavw

Re: Working on a Font (with Pixelation)

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 06:53:23 pm
It's a nice, fun and dense font  :) I like how you 'polished' the edges a bit, it's a nice touch.

What I can spot form this image:
-Some letters like 'P' and 'K' don't have round edges like the other ones. It's plausible that some places might not need but this doesn't look like the case.
-The 'h' height is a bit too high (or the 't' is a bit low)
-your kerning seems to be on point (apart from the 'F.A.Q.:') but it's always good to check  :P
-maybe work a little more on your 'x'?

you can look for 'typeface anatomy' like this one it might help you polishing those details.

overall is already good, the width is pretty consistent too and I don't believe you'll have problems with letters combinations such as 'ft' 'ff' etc etc..

hope this helps :y:

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:51:50 pm
Just came with a quick update and read your message just now MAVW, I didn't dismiss your criticism, just to be clear.

This is an update prior to MAVW message:

-your kerning seems to be on point (apart from the 'F.A.Q.:') but it's always good to check

You're totally right. I was aware of that as I was doing this but couldn't really find any ways to have the F.A.Q. looks better. Maybe if I redid the "Q" though.

So, yes, your feedback does help and I'll redo the font with your input, thank you!  :y: ;D :y:

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:02:58 pm

Here's the new version. You'll notice that for the "t" and the "h" I tried various heights.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 02:40:46 pm
For the FAQ kerning, seems like you just need to provide more whitespace between the F and the A. Not all kerning issues can be solved by editing the characters, sometimes you just need to handkern certain words (or maybe a dot after an F is always going to look too dense and you fix that issue).

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 05:39:57 pm
Yop!

New version, will call it done unless there's some other major issues, let me know what you think (if you feel like it).