AuthorTopic: [C+C][WIP] Gintoki  (Read 3015 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

[C+C][WIP] Gintoki

on: January 29, 2016, 06:55:43 pm
I want to get everything right before moving to shading, so far I am not happy with face and hair.
If pose or anything else could use improvements let me know.

Refrence: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf1TT20z5V6CgGDFknsOnLDJQz9EhhOzWPXoztvQwb2LHEWSmb1w

Offline stemdey

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][WIP] Gintoki

Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 07:46:23 pm
I'm glad you provided a reference!  I was about to start talking out of my  :lol: --- well, from looking at the reference, I'm better able to say what I wanted to about the piece.

LOVE the idea!  Really cool artistic intentions behind it.  I think you need to try to 'glue' the loose cloak to him more...what I mean by that it, if you start at the right shoulder, it kind of looks as if his body is oddly proportioned, like it's wider than it should be.  Look at the reference you posted-- in my eyes, it seems like, while it is hanging off of it, it's still drawn to his torso pretty closely.  I think it would help with design and give it more form.  As far as the face and the hair, I think you spent a lot of time on the body and not as much on the face because you didn't know exactly how to tackle it.  What I recall learning a few years back in in face details, little pixels go a longgggg way.  So, maybe try to not emphasize the face details so much, put a few dots here and their to extenuate certain facial details but let the lack of abundant pixels define the face in it's own way.  Hope that is helpful!  Great piece!!! :y: :y: :y: ;)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:49:02 pm
Experimented alittle here:

Made the thingy from shirt near the neck face other direction, changes to face, hair and other smaller parts, tried to "glue" the coat but I am not sure if I got it right.
Look at his right shoulder is it better on old or new version?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:52:56 pm by Dnilb »

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 07:22:10 am

Hey, here's my two cents. In this edit, I focused on:
1) Defining a hair flow and shading accordingly
2) Casting the hair's shadow against the face (also makes the eyes more visible!), and shaded the other half of the face to show form.

I also sought to improve the colors:
1) Skin palettes are tricky - A "flesh" feel is often achieved through the perception of all of the skin shades together at once, so you have to be really careful in how you do your color ramps. I used a fairly saturated light orange for the high tone, a desaturated orange for the midtone, and a desaturated warm brown for the bottom most shade.

2) Just as black colored objects are rarely represented through pure black, making white objects pure white is something that should be done with caution. Using an off-white as the hair's midtone, I saved pure white for the highlight. To give the white a greater vibrancy, I tinted the shades to a bluish gray.

Using off-white as a base color also pulls the most contrast out from the rest of the shades. (in this case)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 07:39:47 am by Prism »

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:08:09 pm
Thanks for the comments guys, here's the update:  :)

(I know there's alot of colors, kinda based my shading on the king of fighters style))

Offline Prism

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:00:16 pm
Looking neat! I don't think the colors you chose are too excessive, even if there are a few your could merge or reuse.

There's still a few technique stuff you could improve upon. For instance, take a second look at the amount of jaggies in your lines and forms.

Here's a resource that'll probably help:
http://www.pixel.schlet.net/
CTRL+F for "banding"
The part on lines in the opening is also very relevant, as well as the bit on pixel clusters.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 05:05:12 am
Are you trying to have the style be as similar to the reference as possible?  I tried to make an edit that is closer in style to the reference.  If this edit is any help at all, I could try to go in depth with textual explanation.

one thing I see is you're pixeling very dirty  ::)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:42:28 pm by Friend »