AuthorTopic: Help needed!  (Read 12938 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Help needed!

Reply #20 on: September 24, 2006, 08:02:03 am
There should be mandatory art class in primary schools with that book across the world.

Offline Morph

• Pixel with Gimp, Program with Python
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 24, 2006, 01:30:00 pm
I've made an new, improved version of the head, i've tried to make more shade and light so it doesn't look that flat anymore, and i've also tried to add an ear.
Here it is:

And a bit more hairy one (it has also light on his nose):
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 03:36:02 pm by Morph »

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: September 24, 2006, 04:38:22 pm
I'd also suggest reading the book "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain".

Agreed. I went through a program using that book this year. Great stuff.

As I remember it, your left brain-half manages imagination and therefore tries to tell you what it thinks the thing you're drawing looks like. The result is usually a standard way of drawing something you've learned youself. You Right brain-half covers math, and will process things exactly as you see them. It's better at copying things, so when you draw models or objects and don't use your imagination to fill out the blank spaces, you get results you wouldn't get the usuall way and gives you something you can learn and use later on.

As for what you're doing now. I would reccomend you get the shape right first. There's very little good colouring will do if your motive looks odd and disfigured.

Little edit:

Hope it helps in some way.  :)

Offline Morph

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 24, 2006, 05:37:46 pm
Good one! I've tried to it and this is the improved result:
old ---> new
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 06:14:25 pm by Morph »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 24, 2006, 11:19:43 pm
There should be mandatory art class in primary schools with that book across the world.

if only if only...

i actually had an excellent teacher during the first half of primary school, i have things like blind contour drawings from 2nd grade ^^ but he could be harsh.  i remember he kept us in during recess once because we couldnt remember what complementary colors were after hed told us i think 2 or 3 times
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline D3luxe

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: September 24, 2006, 11:42:48 pm
Good one! I've tried to it and this is the improved result:
old ---> new

that looks a LOT better. Before, the nose was too pointed out and stuff. You are improving really quick, good job.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #26 on: September 25, 2006, 12:15:26 am

if only if only...

i actually had an excellent teacher during the first half of primary school, i have things like blind contour drawings from 2nd grade ^^ but he could be harsh.  i remember he kept us in during recess once because we couldnt remember what complementary colors were after hed told us i think 2 or 3 times

Holy shit! No punishing when learning art! That's totally wrong in my opinion.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 03:04:18 am
I wish you were my art teacher Helm.

D3luxe, I'm impressed by the mature way in which you're taking the critiques seriously and making great attempts to improve.  It's really refreshing, and it shows in the continued edits.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: September 25, 2006, 04:27:30 am
Good to see a budding pixel artist. Critiques:

1. Too much white space around the bananna, too little extra space around the profile portrait.
2. Think in a realistic sense, use proportions and scale (but don't do lose your style).

3. An idea, maybe dither some of the browns to make a more natural hairline, it's a bit like it's brown matter, but not really hair. See what the others say about the hair, then work on it. 
4. Since it's quite small, up the contrast a bit.

There are more so I made a small edit; the white was added to show you what errors the background was keeping you from seeing. I fixed quite a bit, so zoom in and compare:
->

Other than that, really good start so far for some of your first pieces of art.

Offline Morph

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 25, 2006, 01:29:30 pm
Hmm i see what you mean. I'm going to try it myself now... i actualy didn't know how to make good, realistic looking hear but i'm going to try that know, with that dithering!!  ;D  :-* And see the contrast is to low, another point to work on  ;)
I'm glad i get some much help with getting better in pixel art! I apriciate that there are people wich just helps me and don't have to get anything back to make themselfs beter but you just help because they like pixel art. I guess these people are the best teachers  ;) Keep on the good work!!

EDIT:
Here it is! I don't know if i did enough with the dithering but i think the contrast is better now.

EDIT EDIT:
I was looking at him and i noticed his neck is a bit to flat, i'm going to fix that when i'm finnished studying. :)

EDIT EDIT EDIT:
Ok here it is, i guess his neck is better now  ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 08:08:18 pm by Morph »