AuthorTopic: Help needed!  (Read 12940 times)

Offline Morph

• Pixel with Gimp, Program with Python
    • View Profile

Re: Help needed!

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 04:26:05 pm
Quite funny banana ;)
I drew some people today, and my dog yesterday. It was quite fun actualy. And when i've just finnished 2 heads i understand better why all my pieces are ugly. I've to work the most on collors and shadows.. But of course i'm going to draw more! Thanks for supporting me while i'm learning the art!

Offline Morph

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 10:57:27 am
I know it's maybe to fast to begin pixeling again but i just couldn't think of just trying  :P. So i made an head. It's in the really beginning of course and there must be much done before it's finnished but here it is:

I've tried to make the shape of the head the best, i didn't tried to colour it beautiful. I looked to one of my sketches i made. So what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 11:17:09 am by Morph »

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 11:11:08 am
ive practised pixeling without any help

try to find your own style :O
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Morph

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2006, 11:18:37 am
Own styles comes later. I think it's not really clever to do pixeling without any help. You can better getting some help and become and great artist....

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 11:32:31 am
I think style is something that should be developed once one knows the basics. Otherwise, any errors and the like will be just addressed as "It is my style". So yeah, bullshit to that.
When practicing try to sketch what you see, and not what you think you see. (So yeah dont try to make up parts and the like)

What you did, as a start, I guess it's alright, but it could be improved. There is not much to be said, you just need more practice esp. sketching wise if your sketch looks like what you pixelled.
Pixelling-wise, all I can say, is that you could practice picking your palette more wisely (since most of the colors blend too much), start shading for giving volume and setting light sources and so, and well anatomy overall. But yeah sketch more.

Keep practicing and good luck

Offline Morph

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 11:47:24 am
Thanks, that's an answer wich helps! I've made an update wich uses your palete and I'm drawing my dog now ;)
Here it is:

I guess it's much better
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 12:18:55 pm by Morph »

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 23, 2006, 12:34:24 pm
Own styles comes later. I think it's not really clever to do pixeling without any help. You can better getting some help and become and great artist....

Quote for truth. Its good to see you understand that. Panda is also very truthful- the most helpful hint I ever got was to 'draw what you see'. I realized that when I drew from life, I was too preoccupied by what it should look like, or what I think it looks like- not what I see. Its a big, helpful distinction.

Your latest is much better (of course theres a ton of improvement room) as you seem to try to capture the form of the face with the shadows and highlights (the back of his head catching light like a ball, with his cheeks blocking it out as a flat surface) but you need to carry that out even further. Shade his forehead darker, its not receiving light, or his lips area, or the front of his chin. Also, make some ears. You cant learn if you don't try.

Good luck, Morph.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006, 12:53:32 pm
OK, I'm trying to master pixel art quite long now but i think i don't get better! :o So i need some help, cause it's like everyone in here makes his arts so easy. But my great problems are the things you need to master and they are:
1 - My first GREATEST problem is making shapes, i just can't so i would like to know how others do it
2 - Colouring. I can pick the colours but the result is rubbish. :P

Here's some more explaining picture from an banana which i screwed up very fast after i started(i made worser things btw):

Can anyone help me making me an better artist? :-*

A bananna sprite like this is really good. It's nice that you made the shadow orangeish. The shape needs a little work. Maybe you should add some more details to it. Your color choices are good. Keep the shadows look blueish and highlights look yellowish.

Offline Morph

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 23, 2006, 12:56:58 pm

Quote for truth. Its good to see you understand that. Panda is also very truthful- the most helpful hint I ever got was to 'draw what you see'. I realized that when I drew from life, I was too preoccupied by what it should look like, or what I think it looks like- not what I see. Its a big, helpful distinction.

Your latest is much better (of course theres a ton of improvement room) as you seem to try to capture the form of the face with the shadows and highlights (the back of his head catching light like a ball, with his cheeks blocking it out as a flat surface) but you need to carry that out even further. Shade his forehead darker, its not receiving light, or his lips area, or the front of his chin. Also, make some ears. You cant learn if you don't try.

Good luck, Morph.
Wow thanks! I'm gonna really gonna use this... this is very helpfull reply for me to get better! When i've improved the head i will show it imidiatly!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 01:38:57 pm by Morph »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #19 on: September 23, 2006, 02:05:27 pm
I'd also suggest reading the book "Drawing from the Right Side of the Brain".  It's about what Panda said: drawing what you see, and not what you know is there.