AuthorTopic: Monster collecting strategy game  (Read 3254 times)

Offline leveler50

• Pixel art.
    • View Profile
    • Heavyweight Rex

Monster collecting strategy game

on: January 28, 2016, 04:00:11 pm
Hey guys, please give your professional opinion of this concept:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:53:53 pm by leveler50 »

Offline Friend

• View Profile
i think it'd be better to see the art it its native resolution to critique? idk

i mostly have problems with colors and style inconsistency.  the blue haired dude is shaded with high contrast shadows and imo looks the best of all the assets. everything else looks flat due to either not strong enough contrast or weak shading .

aside from that id go for a few overall color tweaks playing with hues and values to give everything a more unified style.  it has potential but it just looks all over the place stylistically.  you want the colors of everything to pull the overall atmosphere together.

lastly the portrait of the woman speaking really would benefit from adding depth to the face so it doesnt look flat, and especially to giving shadows to the hair to place it on the head so it doesnt look like floating hair

that said, could you explain what atmosphere youre going for/ :)  it kinda has mixed elements of cute and serious.  the characters and enemies look a little chibi like and the rest looks a little less cute
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:59:34 am by Friend »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile
To the untrained eye this art is probably passable but massive opportunity for improvements.
Too much for me to explain really but this whole project suffers from strong outlines, low contrast, boring colours, some odd forms, noisy messy pixel hair.
Stylistically it resembles chibi but doesnt seem to commit.

And i cant help wondering how they fit their fat heads into those little doorways (excuse me if i missed something im not the best reader).

Due to u having some quantity of assets already how about u pick a particular aspect to improve and apply across everything?
Otherwise u may become discouraged at having to change so much (can happen).
Inproving Light source and colour choices stand out as the best time cost to benefit IMO.

Offline leveler50

• Pixel art.
    • View Profile
    • Heavyweight Rex
Thanks for the comments. Here's an update:

I removed the black outlines but I'm not sure what to do. Should I add more shading /dark colours to the buildings? They look a bit vapid /bland.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:52:37 pm by leveler50 »

Offline Friend

• View Profile
Thanks for the comments. Here's an update:

I removed the black outlines but I'm not sure what to do. Should I add more shading /dark colours to the buildings? They look a bit vapid /bland.

i think it looks better cuz the palette is more alien, which fits your theme.  i think the orange ground may be a little too strong though, either that or the yellow ground doesnt mix with it too well?

on the pixel level, it is kinda sloppy.  lots of pixel noise and banding but not too bad.

i agree the colors on your building lack contrast not only in values but in how youve shaded.  id pay more attention to how objects cast shadows over others. for example, the mushroom roof would cast a dark shadow under the building, and the arch above the door sticks out of the light so should be brighter than the shadowed section of the house.

(playing more with color)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 11:48:18 pm by Friend »

Offline leveler50

• Pixel art.
    • View Profile
    • Heavyweight Rex
Fantastic colour usage there! :) I've got something to learn here.  '

I added saturation plus changed some buildings and made new units. This is what it looks now:

I think the most secure choice for the ground is grass. Or what do you think? Even though other alternatives seem tempting too.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 03:47:36 pm by leveler50 »

Offline Advent

• View Profile
Some colors don't suit. Light blue is too light and hurts my eyes, I am not sure about shading. Blue haired guy has shadow coming from right top row and everything else or only from south, then again faces are bright but this floating brain thingy has it dark. I don't like hair somehow, feels unnatural. Good work though, really nice ideas ! I will look into your progress :)

Offline leveler50

• Pixel art.
    • View Profile
    • Heavyweight Rex
Yeah, I modified the blue haired dudes hair. Let's see what we can do with Junas hair. Yeah the shadows should be more consistent also. The floating brain thingy has his face from different material, that's why it's darker. It's not a shadow.

:y:  :y: