AuthorTopic: Knight run  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Knight run

on: January 28, 2016, 10:45:39 am
This is an update on the old knight running animation I did a while back using the more developed version of the character.

Still a WIP obviously haven't done the plume yet but thought I'd post for crit at this point.
Considering rotating the sword as it swings.
Maybe arms have a bit too much horizontal movement I wonder?

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Knight run

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 11:05:32 am
Looks nice. I like the pendulum timing on the arms, might look good if you could bring that timing into the legs a bit more. The shoulder bouncing up is pretty distracting and I don't know that it really helps anything. The shield is nice but maybe the sword shouldn't move around as much. A more extreme bob on the helmet would be nice, the body feels a lot bouncier. I don't think you should rotate the sword, the rigid sword kinda fits the character of the run with the half timing on the arms.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 11:58:59 am
Thanks.
Totally agree.
I'd already thought much of this was the case so I'm glad u pointed it out without me saying just affirms it.
Legs feel like they move too smooth and lack energy huh.

Not sure what to do with helmet though gonna have to mess around a bit.
I already delayed it by 1 frame after body falls but it didnt have desired effect.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:03:51 pm by Decroded »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 12:27:18 pm
I think it needs to go down another pixel the frame after the low point. Might be a bit too far though and blurriness from subpixelling might not be worth the trade off.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 06:29:37 am
UPDATE.
==>
Feel like I managed to give him a more floaty feeling and a bit more energy than before.
I feel happy enough to move onto the plume now but open to crits as always  ;D

I think it needs to go down another pixel the frame after the low point. Might be a bit too far though and blurriness from subpixelling might not be worth the trade off.
Yeah it wasn't supposed to be sub-pixeling lol it just got that unintended effect because I was trying to delay the helmet to drop one frame after the body.
But yeah it bugged me from the start and didn't manage to fix the weird look so delayed the body drop by 1 frame and I feel like he gets a little bit more air-time now which is what I was aiming for :-)

EDIT: Started plume.

Doesn't feel quite right yet.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:18:33 am by Decroded »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 08:42:51 am
Might be worth trying to time the plume with the arms rather than the bob. Not really physically correct but my instinct is that that's more the rhythm of the movement.

The helmet feels a bit stiff. Which, it's a helmet so fair enough but maybe if the side parts- the bits that fill in the T of the face gap (I don't know armour terminology :lol:)- moved up and down and just the cranium moved like it does currently that would also help the overall head motion. Sort of like if they were hinged.

The changes all look good ;D

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 09:32:34 am
Maybe if you were into a more silly look, you could move the helmet not down 1 pixel, but up instead, like it's bouncing upwards a little and falling back on face.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 10:44:52 am
Might be worth trying to time the plume with the arms rather than the bob. Not really physically correct but my instinct is that that's more the rhythm of the movement.

The helmet feels a bit stiff. Which, it's a helmet so fair enough but maybe if the side parts- the bits that fill in the T of the face gap (I don't know armour terminology :lol:)- moved up and down and just the cranium moved like it does currently that would also help the overall head motion. Sort of like if they were hinged.

The changes all look good ;D
Great suggestions thanks  ;D
I originally started an 8 frame loop for the plume and binned it for this repeated 4 frame loop but yeah ur probably right it might flow nice and smooth if i use all 8 frames.

Helmet was supposed to be one solid piece but interesting idea with the cheek flaps like i think roman helmets had.
I'll have a mess around with that and see what happens.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 10:50:30 am
Maybe if you were into a more silly look, you could move the helmet not down 1 pixel, but up instead, like it's bouncing upwards a little and falling back on face.
Thanks yeah i considered that before but characters collision mask is 16px high (he stands exactly 16px excluding plume) and he already bleeds outside by 2 pixels at peak of run so I'd rather not go any further upwards.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 05:46:28 am

Well I tried to time the plume on the arms but just couldn't get it to make sense in relation to helmet motion.

So here's am updated 4 frame loop.

Still not totally happy with this but might have to come back to it as I'm kinda spinning my wheels  :-[