AuthorTopic: platform character and need some help with bird  (Read 2299 times)

Offline japie81

• View Profile

platform character and need some help with bird

on: January 27, 2016, 08:24:20 pm
I made a few animations that I would like your opinion on.
I dont have time to convert them to gif right now, but will try and do so later if it helps (any recommendations on what program to use to quickly convert them?)

walk

run

fall asleep

breathing heavy

breathing normal

duck

push

jump

fall

old mockup gif

I didnt spend a lot of time refining these yet, and I particularly need some advice on the duck and push ones since I have most trouble with those.

I also had this idea to make mounts and I would like some advice on a feather texture for a large bird. I didnt really try things yet, just made a very rough version

Any critique or advice would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:40:11 pm by japie81 »

Offline alanxoc3

• Adults die young.
    • View Profile

Re: platform character and need some help with bird

Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 07:48:46 am

That is impressive that you have created all those animations. The only thing that bugs me is the shading for the one foot. One foot is really bright, while the other one is dark. I would take it down a notch. (From the left to right sprite). And I added a bit more lighting to the arm.

Dinosaur mounts. Since the main character has lots of vibrant colors and detail, I think the dinosaurs should be more colorful and have more detail in general, but then again that would require more work...

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 10:39:35 am
About bird movement, you may take this as a reference, I think it should work well with the pose of the character (who is never completely side view, and shouldn't be "shaken" too much during flight) : https://youtu.be/xNYCldtpiW0?t=202
For the coloring, the easiest may be to pick the "color scheme" of a bird whose wings are different color than the body, like the tree swallow, and draw a darker shade for the bottom of the wings. This gives you 3 different colors to animate. When you have the movement right, you'll see if you have enough room to draw legible details for more complex feather colors.

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:23:50 pm
Thanks for the feedback.
The mounts are just some rough ideas and far from final. I found most of the animations quite easy to make as they just required dragging some things around and redrawing the arms, but for the duck and push ones simply relocating things didnt work. I'm not quite pleased with the results of those two, so i was hoping maybe someone can point out a few things about those?

Thanks for the advice on the bird, I'll see if I can come up with something that looks nice.

I would also like to make a lizard mount (something like the first one) that walks like a komodo dragon with the outward circling leg movement. Since its a side view i'm really unsure about how this kind of movement can be represented. Make the leg larger when its closer? Highlights?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 08:28:09 pm by japie81 »