AuthorTopic: Ruined tower feedback  (Read 2098 times)

Offline secretcat

• View Profile

Ruined tower feedback

on: October 30, 2017, 09:36:41 pm
Hi all!

I was hoping I could get some feedback on this ruined tower - specifically does it look realistically old/crumbling or like a battle happened here? And if not - what can I do to make it better?

Thanks!

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Ruined tower feedback

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:18:10 am
I recommend making sure the tower is properly constructed before you destroy it ;D

The curvature on the bricks seems to change the further down you go. For RPG view, which is a parallel projection (no real perspective), the curve should be the same throughout the tower. In perspective, the bricks would appear to curve more the further down you go, not less, since we're seeing the lower bricks more from above than the higher bricks.

For a parallel projection, here's the approximate cross-section of some circles along the tower, based on the top of the tower:

The bottom one is the bottom of the tower. As you can see, it's much more curved than what you've drawn.
The middle one is for one of the bricks. The brick edges should be along the bottom/front edge of that shape, but yours are much flatter.

Offline eliddell

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 01:03:09 am
eishiya has already told you the most important stuff, but I'll say a thing or two about the details/textures (all IMHO, of course):

-The green stuff doesn't look like it's growing on the surface of the tower, it looks like someone had a magical accident inside that resulted in a bunch of Green Slime™ getting thrown everywhere.  If it's supposed to be moss, it should cling to the stones in a thin layer.  If it's vines, you need more vertical strands or something.  The current look might serve if the tower is located in a swamp or jungle, though.

-The wedge-shaped chunk missing from the upper parapet looks like someone sliced it off with a laser.  Either follow the lines of the stone blocks, or give it crumbly/jagged edges.

-There's something not quite right about that chunk of rock sitting on top of the tower.  It looks like it should fall over or something.  Probably a perspective/shadow issue.

The door works fairly well if you ignore the structural curvature issue.  The deep chink in the wall midway up, and most of the cracks in the stonework in the lower part of the tower in general, do make it look like the stonework was damaged and left without maintenance.
If anything I've said here has been useful to you, please pay it forward by critting someone else.

Offline secretcat

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 12:05:16 pm
Thanks for the feedback!  ;D

I've tried to take what you said in to account and made a few changes

Do you think this looks better?