AuthorTopic: pixel art and perspective.  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

pixel art and perspective.

on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:01 am
So, just getting into horizon lines, and vanishing lines and all of that good stuff.  Been trying to practice added a little depth to my art.

Any advice anyone can give me for perspective practice would be great, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:02:41 am by Seefour »

Offline Asti

• View Profile

Re: pixel art and perspective.

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 09:27:05 am
The first mistake I noticed here is the top of the door was drawn in the wrong perspective, I mean it shouldn't be straight. And maybe some shading can add more depth to the picture, but I don't think it is necessary here.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:19:30 pm

As Asti said the door isn't in perspective, and the windowsill isn't either.

The TV-stand and speakers(?) are completely flat, which doesn't help the depth any.

Mostly though, I don't think perspective practice really works at resolutions this small (or pixel art in general).
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 10:11:18 pm
Also consider human eyes  aren't normally the height of a door  frame.
Its not "wrong" to draw that way but unless ur intentionally going for a certain perspective for a specific reason, its safer to draw everything from normal eye height as it will look more natural to the viewer.

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 03:20:55 am
Thank you all for the helpful advice!

As Asti said the door isn't in perspective, and the windowsill isn't either.

The TV-stand and speakers(?) are completely flat, which doesn't help the depth any.

Mostly though, I don't think perspective practice really works at resolutions this small (or pixel art in general).

I agree on the door, and now that I look at it, the windowsill would be viewed straight on, instead of at a downward angle.
I have heard the argument that I should be practicing with pen and paper (and I do, just not as much as with pixel, as that is my preferred art style.)
I would disagree that you cannot practice and get things down through pixel art, as all the fundamentals of art seem to still apply.  No disrespect, you seem far more versed than I.