AuthorTopic: Knight combos  (Read 7141 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Knight combos

on: January 24, 2016, 10:08:05 pm
Took a quick dump before work (no giggling) of this WIP in Gale.

Feedback appreciated especially in regards to depth of the attack and making it appear he is twisting with sword moving away and forward.
I think the  second slash coming forward  probably  gives  a better impression of that so might need to re-do the first one.

Too indecisive about  other  attacks and open to ideas if anyone  feels like throwing me a bone  :D

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Knight combos

Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:19:45 pm
I feel like the shield arm is a bit lethargic compared to the much more animated sword arm.  Otherwise the helmet feather whatever the name is red part barely moves at all.

For a third attack follow up, a stab could always work if you don't want to do another sword swipe.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:14:03 pm
Lovely stuff :) The art style in general from what I've seen for this project is super-appealing.

He's not too small to put his body into the swings more I think:

The er, feather thing? ... on top of his helmet could do with some motion.

A stab or an overhead swing for the third attack maybe?

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:18:16 pm
Very nice! I was actually working on a similar attack for my knight guy. The plume looks stiff liker Rosier said. It might just be me, but shouldn't his shield be more in front of him as well?
quick edit:
I feel it makes him look like more of an experienced fighter if he keeps his shield in front of him to use it, and personally to me it doesn't look as weird and makes the first slash more readable to me.

As for a third attack, maybe and upwards slash? like an uppercut? overhead cut, or a stab, you might even try a shield bash?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:04:39 am
Oh forgot to mention I'm  leaving the plume (feather thing) until i nailed the rest of motion as it should react to everything else and i dont want to do it multiple times.

Wow erekt that looks sick  he suddenly  looks more badass gonna look into that next  time i get in front of my computer :-)

I might bring shield a little  more front facing but i want a clear difference between when is is blocking or not as holding block probably got speed penalty etc.

Yeah i was thinking of a lunging stab attack.
I might have a little enemy juggling like tekken i haven't fully decided but the stab will work either way :-)
Also thought if u keep tapping it keeps slashing or press heavy attack to follow with a stab maybe.

Offline JonnyHinkleArt

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:12:52 am
Great animation here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 02:41:25 am
If realism is of any concern, yes, you should never move the shield from the front of the character. Shields are made to defend your front, you wouldn't ever move it away and expose your abdomen, let alone swinging it to the back as you do. That said, most people don't bother, as it's more fun to animate exaggerated silly moves that don't look like fighting at all, but more like chopping wood. I personally fall into the second category I guess, though I enjoy games that model proper sword fighting.

"When he is blocking" is not a thing in real life, you're always blocking if you have a shield :)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:48:18 am by Gil »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:50:37 am
Although interesting, I think videogame sword/shield combat exists in it's on kind of reality, which is based on the gameplay mechanic of block/not blocking.
And it's main purpose is enhance the gameplay, not provide realism. Same with charging up attacks and so on.

Also, the highest comment on that video gives you an animators perspective, which I'm more inclined to agree with.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:54:29 am by Seiseki »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:38 pm
Although interesting, I think videogame sword/shield combat exists in it's on kind of reality, which is based on the gameplay mechanic of block/not blocking.
And it's main purpose is enhance the gameplay, not provide realism. Same with charging up attacks and so on.

Also, the highest comment on that video gives you an animators perspective, which I'm more inclined to agree with.
Oh I agree really. There is some place for more realistic combat, in a more simulation way, but 90% of the time, the unrealistic stuff makes for better animation, better gameplay, etc. I was just expanding on what Roach was saying about a shield needing to be in front, since it's interesting to consider.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 04:56:34 pm
I like the look of him. I agree that the shield arm looks sluggish compared to his sword arm, though. I'd either keep it tight to his side, or have it snap way back, like he's really throwing his weight around.