AuthorTopic: Looking for an artist to create character portraits and sprite animations.  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Die_Letzte

• View Profile
Hello

First of all thank you for taking the time to click on this post! Now down to business, I am the producer/artist for a small team of part-time indie developers who are currently making a top-down RPG for our first game project. The team itself is comprised of five members (two programmers, one sound guy, one story-line/quest guy and myself)

The game itself is going well and we have just started to make good progress on the implementation of both game-play mechanics and art assets. However even though I am an artist for the team my talents lie in environment creation, UI design, basic sprite design etc. I am not very experienced or skilled with the creation of detailed character portraits or animated sprite art as I have only just started to explore and practice creating art in these areas.

Therefore I am looking for an artist to help design content for the two areas mentioned above (detailed character portraits and animated sprite art) and potentially join the team as a member if the individual in question wishes to do so and has shown great potential with the content they will create and the attitude they have shown. Preferably the individual will be skilled in both of these areas but artists that are only skilled in one of the above areas are still welcome to get in contact with me.

Requirements:

• A good level of skill in regards to creating anime based character portraits for numerous different key characters throughout the game.
  • A good level of skill in regards to creating animated sprite art, this will include things such as character animations, combat animations and more.
  • A good work ethic, we are looking for someone who is passionate about the work they create as well as good with time-keeping and communication.
  • Be able to work in a group environment and be sociable with others.
  • Must have prior examples of their work that we can see such as a portfolio or profile.
  • Must speak English fluently.

Below are some links to illustrate the kind of things we would like a potential artist to create:

Character Portraits:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/3/3f/ProtofaceFE8.png/revision/latest?cb=20110912054518
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110430140424/megamitensei/images/4/43/YosukeFaces%26Costume.jpg
http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nx7/char/mitsuru-persona3-costumes.jpg

Animated Sprite Work (doesn't have to be pixel art):

http://45.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m69a3oRRu11qc254uo1_500.gif
http://a.deviantart.net/avatars/t/h/the-angry-scientist.gif?7
http://orig01.deviantart.net/330e/f/2009/021/2/f/fire_emblem_battle_animation_by_zaltias.gif

Preferences:

Note: This section is for preferred traits we would like to see in anyone who may wish to get involved in the project.

• An interest in Role Playing Games as well as Japanese Role Playing Games
  • An interest in Asian culture, this can include music, movies, video games, books, history etc.
Team Information:

Note: This section will detail some information about the team members and our skill sets and personalities so that you know what your getting into ;)

Aaron(me) (Producer/Artist): I am a recent graduate from university who has had a huge interest in video games from a very young age, so much so that I have chosen to pursue my interest in games through education in college and university and have now stepped out into the big wide world in hopes of becoming a successful games designer. I find it very easy to communicate with others and enjoy meeting new friends and having a laugh with people. My skills are mostly based in video game based art which I took an interest in around 4 years ago and over that time I have attempted to hone my skills in various different areas but have mostly stuck to 2D environment design and basic sprite work. I have also found that I have a knack for leading a group of people in regards to project development, I personally put this down to my innate need to be productive and my no-nonsense attitude when it comes to time wasters and people being unproductive.

Levi (Programmer): Levi has been a very close friend of mine since college as well as being one of our programmers who over the past few years has come on leaps and bounds in regards to programming and is now currently studying a programming based course in university to improve his skills further. He is very into his anime which more often than not means he ends up being the butt of many a dakimakura joke but has also shown a keen interest in video games like myself as well as other areas of media and is now currently working alongside our other programmer Phillip to create and implement the menu system in the game.

Phillip (Programmer) Phillip like Levi, is one of our programmers who has come top of his class at university for his programming course and is now working with us as a key member of the team due to his experience with programming and shared interests in games design as well as level design. He is a shifty sort who enjoys anime and constantly needs to be kept tabs on due to his mysterious nature and tendency to invade Skype calls unexpectedly.

Lewis (Story/Quest design): Lewis happens to be my cousin, but more importantly he also designs the story line for the game as well as all of the characters and side quests, this is due to his skill at writing stories thanks to his talents and experience from studying on a creative writing and music course at university, Lewis has written short stories in the past as well as running his own alternative culture magazine website along with working on a previous project with me and is eager to try his hand at a larger project having already created two chapters for the games main story line and is currently working on the third. WARNING - Never mention the term "School of Hardknocks" around Lewis.

Kyle (Sound Design): Kyle is a fairly recent friend of mine but in the short time I have known him we have worked on another project together in which he has shown his great skill when it comes to creating music and has continued to impress with his work on the game itself, Kyle's skills come from his experience and talent with musical instruments along with his knowledge of music related technology and programming skills.

Finally I would just like to say thank you for reading this post and if you have any questions or wish to talk to me about potentially working with us please get in touch with me via post or message or via email aaron_faulkner1994@hotmail.co.uk as I will be more than happy to answer questions and provide examples of our work on the game so far if asked. One final note is that even though our team is dedicated to this project we also are only able to work on this part-time due to our schedules with things like university and work, therefor development maybe slow sometimes and we will need to alter times for meetings and deadline etc. to accommodate this.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 01:12:32 am by Die_Letzte »