AuthorTopic: (Re)starting with pixel art  (Read 2769 times)

Offline JM_DX

• View Profile

(Re)starting with pixel art

on: January 21, 2016, 05:12:13 pm
Hi, I'm new here as you can see with my incredible "Posts:1"  ;D
I started learning about making pixel art some time ago, read tutorials, made a couple sprites but then I moved to another country and didn't really had time. Now I want to make some indie pc games as well as some board games so I got again on the "learning pixel art" train. Searched again for tutorials to refresh information and also found this awesome site.

So, leaving boring introductions behind, I tried making a simple character to get in gear and get feedback of where I'm standing right now before trying to do more so I don't end repeating the same mistakes over and over. And here it is:

Shoot!

Offline Tals

• View Profile

Re: (Re)starting with pixel art

Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 09:45:04 pm
You're operating in a bit of a different style than I'm used to, but a few quick things jumped out at me as making him look a little... odd at first glance.

Here's a quick edit and what I changed:

- You are using neither the proportions nor the perspective that he shouldn't have at least some level of visible neck. I only went one pixel higher but it lifts his head from feeling like it sits on his shoulders.
- The shoulders felt way too chunky, even if he's supposed to be a bulky character.
- The legs are the real reason I did the quick edit, I don't think straight legs are perfect, but try standing like your guy is, he's bending his knees sideways. It looks painful.

You're starting in a really good place though, you have great contrast and use colour better than I know I do. Your shoes show a great attention to interesting detail and your light source and shading is consistent across the piece.

This might just be a personal thing, but I'd watch out for the uncanny valley. You've got an interesting mix of styled form with an attempt to throw a bit of realism in there, and I'd recommend pushing a little more one way or another. You can go for further correctness by doing things like putting ears where they should be, rounding out the shoulders more and giving him better posture (I feel like he's hunched forward?) or you can embrace the stylish elements by exaggerating features further. That's all take it or leave it advice though, there's nothing wrong with what you're doing here.

Offline JM_DX

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:30 am
Thanks for the feedback!

I guess I didn't bother with the neck because I was going for a stylized...style? xD
I wanted his stance to be wide so he looked bold but now I see that the legs look weird. The shading may not be helping there.
I also took your advice about the uncanny valley and quickly made this edit pushing it a lot more toward the stylized path to see if it got better. I didn't raise the head for the neck in this edit for that reason as it's supposed to be SDish (I actually felt like I probably should lower it now). I kind of like it but I feel it looks a LOT younger xD

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 01:15:18 am
Legs and shoes look good. The rest up needs lots of work :] the arms seem very awkward looking. I'm all for nubs but he execution looks strange. Looks like a chicken. You also suffer from banding but that's easy to fix

Offline JM_DX

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 08:21:44 pm
Thanks!
Read a bit about banding and have been trying to fix the little guy some more, mostly the arms. Finally found a shape I'm mostly happy about but I'm going out now to get some food before detailing more. Going to leave it here, see if I can get some input meanwhile  ;D

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 03:15:32 am
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1