AuthorTopic: Floating brain boss  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Floating brain boss

on: January 14, 2016, 08:11:09 pm
Hi all!

Just thought I'd post this for general crit, as well as seeing if there's something I should be doing differently with the palette. I really like the way the red part of the brain looks, but I'm not sure if the yellow/gold parts and grey/stone part coordinate with the way the brain is shaded properly. I feel like there's some method or technique that could get everything dialed in a bit better? I always really struggle with palette choices!

Any insights or pointers are greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 07:51:15 am by Lazy Brain Games »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Floating brain boss / palette coloring crit

Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 09:53:23 pm
it's very hard to tell what's going on, but i can see the rendering is absolutely gorgeous.  what i see is beautiful but cant make it out, and im not sure if it would still be readable seeing it animated.  i think the sprite may ultimately need considerable reworking for readability.  maybe there is just too much detail muddling the readability?

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 01:18:16 am
Thanks for your reply!

I suppose it's worth mentioning that it's a sci-fi kinda character; a brain supported on a floating stone statue with the gold-plated encasing with wiry twigs decorating the top of the head/brain. The white mass in the center is supposed to be an eye, although since it's missing the pupil maybe it's not clear what it's supposed to be.

Maybe it needs to be more stylized for readability? I didn't consider this!

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 02:39:07 am
Yeah, add the pupil.  That would help a lot for readability.  Maybe make the statue a little bigger too.  Actually this is really cool and I wish the whole thing was a bit bigger as well.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:18 am
The brain looks good reminded me of a 3d rendered doom sprite.
But overall i think the design  could  be improved a lot.
Knowing more  about how this boss works and what kind of game it is would  help to make suggestions.
Have u thought about how it attacks and defends etc?
What kind of angles can the player get too shoot this thing?

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Re: Floating brain boss WIP CC

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 07:55:50 am
I did a redesign and attempted a rotation animation with mixed results (it's currently still a work in progress). The brown band around the head will eventually become a crown of thorns, but for now I'm still trying to get the rotation animation right before I launch into that kind of detailing.

So far its okay I guess but keeping track of so many folds of brain tissue while maintaining the correct shape is proving to be a real challenge! Any advice or pointers on how I can get the rotation looking better are more than welcome!

Thanks for looking