AuthorTopic: 8 frame walk cycles in 2.5D fps - could it work?  (Read 7093 times)

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Re: 8 frame walk cycles in 2.5D fps - could it work?

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 10:25:20 pm
I wouldn't recommend Sprite Lamp for pixel art. If you're going to hand pixel things, hand pixel the normal map, that's my idea. Sprite Lamp is not a new idea, it just makes it easier, but also sloppier (as it's auto-generated and not hand pixeled).

Also, about purism: normal mapping can be done (and has been done) on very old machines through palette cycling, there's nothing "faux" about it. We just now have the power to do it in a much more dynamic fashion.

As for the original question, I think I agree that it's probably not going to look good to increase just the framerate for 2.5D. The question is: where does the uncanny value start? From experience, I'm thinking for sprites that big, you CAN go up to 8, but that's pushing it just a little, 6 for a walk would probably be what I go for.

Do you have any examples for sprites with a 6 frame walk?
The 4 frame walks in Doom etc. typically have the passing and down position. Which position would you add for six frames, the up or contact one?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:41:27 pm
The 4 frame walks in Doom etc. typically have the passing and down position. Which position would you add for six frames, the up or contact one?
Look around on the forum, 6 frame walk cycles are more common than the 4 frame ones DOOM had, so there's tons of examples around.

Here's a very old one lying around on my server:

Offline kullenberg

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 10:45:49 pm
Look around on the forum, 6 frame walk cycles are more common than the 4 frame ones DOOM had, so there's tons of examples around.

Here's a very old one lying around on my server:

That does indeed look good. Seems like it might be the sweet spot I'm looking for. And yes, will do!

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 12:59:33 am
That does indeed look good. Seems like it might be the sweet spot I'm looking for. And yes, will do!
Glad to help :)

6 frame walk cycles come up a lot for RPGs around the 16bit era btw, which is why you might not have seen them much if you are more of a 2.5D guy

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 07:44:52 am
"Uncanny valley" u mean?

Offline tsej

• View Profile
    • Art and Code

Reply #15 on: February 02, 2016, 01:04:20 pm
Uncanny valley is a concept.   
Basically - Non human things with a few human features look fine.

For example - Wall.E. is obviously not a human but has eyes and arms like a human, and shows emotions. 

But when you keep adding human features to that non-human thing, at one point you're unable to distinguish whether it is HUMAN or NON-HUMAN and at that point, it comes off as creepy. 
Examples -

But if you keep pushing through and adding more features and keep making it more human-like, it gets out of the "valley" and it's again not creepy anymore. 
The graph 

You can look up Youtube videos for more explanation. I simplified as best as I could.
Correct me if I'm wrong