AuthorTopic: Kitchen GUI (previously known at the Table Cloth Thread)  (Read 8458 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile
Hello guys!

I need help depicting cloth on the side of a table. Also a glass dining bell-thing.

I can't manage it the moment, it looks bad. I've tried references but it doesn't help!

Teach me please, O Wise Sensei!

Updated:

For more info, see last post!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:45:44 pm by Zizka »

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: Table cloth help

Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:20:30 am
It doesn't look bad to me. I would just simply change ur darkest shadow. As for the glass it looks fine to me as well, but if you want to emphasize it, add some transparency to it. Draw some food on a platter with some highlight and keep your shadows in it.

Quick edit: With a salad : )

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:19:51 am
While the edit does look better, I don't think it's quite good enough yet or maybe I'm being too much of a perfectionist.  :D

Thanks for the edit though, will make the dark shadow not as dark.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 03:24:25 am
i think cloth is crazy hard but the more you try to make it look real, the worse it looks.  as for siple pixel art, i think less is more with cloth often.

i just copied a reference

(not finished)

not sure if that helps.  id recommend making the folds less repetitive

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 02:21:05 pm
I think it looks more realistic but I think it might clash with the more "cartoonish" style I'm going for. I know, I'm picky! I do appreciate the edit though, thank you, thank you!

The plates need to be bigger, it's part of the gameplay.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 05:04:04 pm
I think it looks more realistic but I think it might clash with the more "cartoonish" style I'm going for. I know, I'm picky! I do appreciate the edit though, thank you, thank you!

The plates need to be bigger, it's part of the gameplay.

i meant to add i know it wasnt the style you were going for xD sorry.  i was just trying to show maybe the folds were overdone.  and i still would suggest to make the folds less repetitive, but honestly your table already looks good.  maybe more color variety would help the plates stick out

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 07:14:53 pm
Yeah, how dare you try to help me!  ;D

I went ahead and checked how Mother did it. Friend was right, less is more so to speak.

They go for a minimal approach I find. So I tried to tweak things a bit. I was a bit lazy on the color selection perhaps.

Here's the new version of the table:

Whadda think?

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 08:42:19 pm
that improvement though!! it looks good and i think is fine.  i went and tried an edit anyway.  i think it could be simpler.

i also changed plate colors if they are a game element they should stand out.  played around with colors 4 fun

« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:17:31 pm by Friend »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 08:58:39 pm
It's weird, in your edit, on my screen, the table has a 2 pixel wide edge whereas in mine it only has one.  ???

I just wanted to explain the gameplay element at work here:

Basically, you get to mix two ingredients picked up to create a dish. The dish can then be consumed for a permanent stat boost. It's sort of a crafting system where you discover new recipes through experimentation.

I think your table looks better but I do feel like an edge line is missing. Maybe not as bright as mine however!

I find the color in the plate clashes with the new bronze color you've selected?

I actually want to depict typical white plates which is why I was sticking to a whiter color intead of other colors.

Again, thank for the edit, time to simplify those folds further!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 09:30:32 pm
im not sure what you mean by the edges :p and yes i agree the bronze colors clash.  added another color just cuz.

your game sounds fun  ;D