AuthorTopic: Retro RPG needs art  (Read 3347 times)

Offline drcorchit

• View Profile

Retro RPG needs art

on: January 04, 2016, 07:34:55 pm
Greetings.

I'm working on a project called escape from the abyss. It's a top down 2.5D open-world rpg game with platforming elements. Gameplay is similar to NES Zelda but with jumping, mazes, and followers. Currently It's been a solo project but I have finally reached the phase where I need art that I cannot produce myself. I most likely will not be able to offer any pay, but you will receive your name in the credits and a free copy of the game at minimum. I'll post the game on steam greenlight and kickstarter in a few months, so we'll have to see how that goes.

This game involves a lone knight who awakens mysteriously in a massive abyssal realm, complete with volcanos, swamps, and deserts. The player must make decisions as to who they will team up with and who they will destroy in order to secure their freedom from the unearthly cavern. Much of the plot remains unwritten, so you're welcome to make suggestions as to characters, level design, and plot elements. The game features massive lava trenches and stone walls which create and impressive illusion of depth. This is where the platforming aspect of the game comes in, as the player must not only explore and defeat enemies but also make long leaps to safely navigate the game's many areas. Programming of menus, graphical engine, and gameplay is mostly complete, which means I'm ready to move to the next stage of development: art integration.

What I need most to make this game a reality are pixel artists who are comfortable designing and animating enemies, bosses, and npc's, as well as a few other things including building interiors, floors, menu buttons, and splash screens. In short, I'll need pixel artists capable of handling 32x32 sprites with animations for walking and attacking, plus 48x48 or larger sprites for bosses and certain enemies. However, the game also needs some larger pieces of art measuring around 640x640 pixels. I won't discuss the particulars of those here, but they will include a scene of a catacomb with lava as a splash screen and an abyssal kraken. Picture a blue-green starfish with a massive eye and 6-8 long, slimy tentacles. I'll also need portraits of the main characters and a decent HUD, since the current one is underwhelming.

Here are some screenshots.

This is a screenshot from story mode, showing the swamp motif. Note that the hud needs work.

This is a screenshot of a randomly generated level showing the lava motif. This shows off the 2.5D engine better. Randomly generated levels will be used in an arcade-style demo version of the game. I'd like to have the arcade version ready in a month or two so I can start the kickstarter campaign.

Here are some currently existing characters and enemies in the game. This should give you a feel for the general style I'm looking for. Note that high saturation images look best, since some of the levels are dark or foggy.

To get a feel for the game, play the demo at https://www.dropbox.com/s/bl8j58r8yczr4z7/demo.zip?dl=0 Note that this demo is based off of story mode, rather than randomly generated levels and arcade gameplay, which will be featured in the final demo.

If interested, pm me or send me an email. My email is drcorchit (at) gmail (dot) com.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 09:45:51 pm by drcorchit »

Offline drcorchit

• View Profile

Re: Retro RPG needs art

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 09:54:40 pm
Please note that this job request will probably be available for a long time. The expected release date for the game is mid 2017. This may become a paid offer. If it does, I will move this post to the paid job offer section.

Offline drcorchit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:41:08 am
I'll return to post an link to the updated demo. I'm focusing on releasing the arcade mode of the game first.

Offline drcorchit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 02:13:48 am
http://speedy.sh/8GEUs/Wrath-of-the-Abyss.exe

Here's the latest demo. Game has improved a lot. Please let me know what you think of gameplay even if you don't want to work with me as an artist.

Thanks