AuthorTopic: bewitching [c+c]  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: bewitching [c+c]

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 12:50:07 am
*seiseki's new edit is the last comment on page 1, just to make sure you dont miss it*

this is so great, lots to learn from this.  huge improvement in believability in capturing her human form, though you can take this much further.  that's great news, because not only are you doing well, but you have lots of room to improve which will be fun

-neck area is uncontrolled, either the head position is too far to th left, or the perspective of the neck sould be more downturned towards us, having the collar wrap around her head.  it kinda looks like we are seeing the collar head on.  sorry if this isnt explained well.  try to visualize the neck area more.  try to imagine your hands can reach into the screen and feel your character.  feel the neck area.  why does it feel off?

-the arm not holding the broom seems broken at the elbow
------

for the design of the character, it's kinda a step backwards.   

1.) the color distribution is a lil funky.  the bright green overpowers everything.  note how ppd used it as an accent color.  note how ppd uses colors in ways that make everything super crisp and stand out but everything is well balanced.  you have beautiful colors here, now you just need to use them more wisely.  doesn't mean be boring with your colors.  actually the opposite.  you have awesome yellows and purples, and ppd saw it.  he also saw most of your sprite is blue.  so doing the broom in purple and yellow just pops so well. 

2.) your silhouette lacks punch and character in my opinion.

yours is just kinda generic and you can easily fit all of her into a rectangle.  but it seems you're trying for more of a dynamic pose, which makes the plain boxy silhouette more of an issue.  if the character read as a tall, lanky,funnily rectangular figure, the rectangular silhouette could be embraced and look awesome. 

ppd adds a bunch of curves and crossing lines and even a cat thrown in that give form and LIFE to the silhouette- the hat curvers to the right, the broom makes a long clear angled line cutting through the less angled body line, the cat's gaze crosses in an X with the broom, and if you follow the curve of the hat to the arms, it makes nice S shapes curves.  All of the curves and angles just add character and life.

while it is true you also have curves, they arent dramatic enough to add dynamism to your sillhouette.  another thing is looking at the silhouette, it is very easy to guess what we are looking at in ppd's version, but yours is a little trickier.  try making your silhouette more readable and i think thatll improve your design.  dont be afraid to be bold and crazy with design.  i draw special attention to her broom, since it is hard to tell what it is in your  new version
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:52:11 am by Friend »

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2016, 02:20:42 am
It seems like people gave you a lot of good edits to work with, but I wanted to talk about why your original wasn't really working out so here you go! Plus a bonus doodle because I sat on this for a million years until it was barely relevant anymore. ;_; My edit isn't very polished but I hope you can take something useful away from it!

Offline sonicspin

• no
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 12:56:24 am
Ah ah very heplful posts!!
But I cant píxel till late monday, so, "reserving" this post for hopefully Tuesday, where I will be able  to draw some new versión!
StarRaven, your edit is very pretty and a heplful post!
Friend, many thanks to you for taking so much time helping, same for Seikeki!
EDIT: seems i will hold off this draw for a while till get gooder, will make new thread when i feel ready
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 11:21:48 pm by sonicspin »