AuthorTopic: bewitching [c+c]  (Read 5077 times)

Offline sonicspin

• no
    • View Profile

bewitching [c+c]

on: January 04, 2016, 02:16:24 pm
x
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:50:20 pm by sonicspin »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: bewitching [c+c]

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:30:49 pm
It's a bit wonky and the shading is kinda flat.
I think the outline is very harsh too.

I really like the style and palette!  :y:

Edit: I tried to fix some of the shading and proportions by drawing in rough blotches..
Gave her thumb gloves (I can't draw hands :'()

This was really just a way for me to get some practice, I hope it's helpful.
I think you're doing line work and then shading it, so you should try doing the shading first, it helps with the volume and keeping a light source in mind..

Don't be afraid to make some big changes, use a bigger brush and clean it up after you've gotten the general shape down..
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:55:49 am by Seiseki »

Offline sonicspin

• no
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 10:07:08 pm
x
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:50:38 pm by sonicspin »

Offline Zia

• Pixel herding is hard work.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:12:04 am
I feel like she'd be a lot more proportional if you made her torso about half as tall, like so:

Eriophora Zia

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 10:35:11 am
I always use something I call the "pocket test". I try to mentally make the character put his/her hands into where the pant pockets would be. When standing up, you can just about reach those. If that seems an impossible task (like in the original sprite AND Zia's latest edit), then you need to either make the arms longer or the torso shorter. Zia made the torso shorter, but he also made the arms about half as long as the legs (as in, she'd look REALLY weird naked).

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 10:43:01 am
Sooooo, proportionality.
I've stuck all the edits next to each other and drawn, in beautiful magenta, some stick figures over them.

So while your new edit certainly improves upon a lot of things, it also has a worse pose and proportions.

Note that Seiseki's edit uses your belt to just hang over the bottom of her butt. It's not actually a belt at this point and more like a ring in a different colour. This was an interpretation of your original edit where you could imagine it looks like she's wearing a belt below her ass, and then the dress does crazy things once it's free.

Enter your edit.
Here we see you've fallen back into the idea that the belt is a belt and her butt is below it, but this makes her torso look hella long and her legs very short. Zia interpreted this as a chibi character and so left the legs short, but shortened the torso and arms significantly to get her more proportional (though as Gil points out, perhaps a little too short).
I added one last edit to this example just to show her with a more regular body shape.

One other thing is that Seiseki's edit has a lot more "character" in her stance. The arms are pulled back, the chest is pushed forward and the hips are further apart and facing the screen more. This gives her much more of a presence and personality.
Try imagining what kind of personality you would like her to have and then work out how she would stand based on that. Practice in the mirror a bit to really see some examples and get the proportions right (if you're a guy just remember that girls have shoulders that are only about 3/4 the size of your own and very small rib cages).
* may contain misinformation

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 12:35:29 pm
I like where this thread is going!  :y:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 05:13:40 pm
Cute colors.
The image could be improved in other ways.
But here's some design thoughts.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline sonicspin

• no
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 11:48:56 pm
Helpful things
helpful edit
another helpful edit

another revision, hopefully fixed more things (and now the belt is a belt!)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 12:34:52 am
Awesome new boots! I like the way the dress bends around the legs, but it feels a bit cramped on her right leg..
I think the shading is a bit unclear on the hat and her shoulder thing(what are those called?), you soften it too much around the edges while the rest is a solid color.
The light seems to be coming from the top right, so you could try darkening the part of the shoulder cloth that hangs over her chest.

PPDs edit conveys the shapes through really simple but straight forward shading.

And, I think the first edition of her face was better, where it was more at an angle (one eye being slightly more narrow), more puffy cheeks and bigger hair..
The new face feels a bit compressed, and the line under her jaw makes it quite straight..

Quick edit: Kinda inconsistent shading, but a bit clearer?

The folds on her dress look more like it's ripped.
Maybe because it's rounded?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 12:37:41 am by Seiseki »