AuthorTopic: My base for rpg  (Read 6856 times)

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

My base for rpg

on: January 04, 2016, 01:15:02 pm
Hi,

So ... I am new to this forum and also to spriting or even pixel art, but I've read (i believe) good tutorial and created this sprite:

So, if you could tell me is it good and what should I change, I would be thankful.
And also, could you tell me: is scaling pixel art bad thing or is it ok? Is using scaled up pixel art in some kind of project, video game for example, a bad thing or is it ok?
Here's version without scaling, if someone's interested:

BTW I'm foreigner so ... my English may be a little shitty :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:42:09 pm by Trotom »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: My base for rpg

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 03:38:50 pm
Doesn't look too bad to start off with. The arms are too short, the green of the eyes is very unsettling, but otherwise looks pretty good. Here's a reference I made last week to use when creating RPG bases, it's in the correct perspective and such:

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 04:09:59 pm
Scaling is unnecessary and can be detrimental on this forum.  We can click on any image to scale them.  If you pre-scale your image that gives us less control over the size that we see.  Additionally, if you pre-scale your image then you make it harder for people to provide you with helpful edits.

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:40:00 pm
Scaling is unnecessary and can be detrimental on this forum.  We can click on any image to scale them.  If you pre-scale your image that gives us less control over the size that we see.  Additionally, if you pre-scale your image then you make it harder for people to provide you with helpful edits.
I know that, I've read the sticked post. The image is scaled up because I want viewer to see it in that way, not to help good samaritans (like you :)) see closely the picture. When I asked about scaling pixel art, I meant using scaled pixel art in a game for example. So in case I wrote that wrong let me ask the question again. Is using scaled up pixel art in some kind of project, video game for example, a bad thing or is it ok?

Doesn't look too bad to start off with. The arms are too short, the green of the eyes is very unsettling, but otherwise looks pretty good.
Right on it :) .
Is it better now?

Here's a reference I made last week to use when creating RPG bases, it's in the correct perspective and such:
I saw that, but looking at some classic rpg you can tell, that they don't care about proportions, but they care about readability of sprites, so I looked a little at your creation, a little bit and another creation, a little bit into my imagination and created some kind of hybrid. :D

Once more I apologize if I'm butchering English, but I hope you can understand what i wanted to say :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:28:03 pm by Trotom »

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 01:28:13 pm
I've created female version and I'd like to hear your opinion.

Here's the comparison.

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 04:08:10 pm
Here's one I've been messing around with:

All I can say is where's the muscle baby thread.   :P
Seems like the top half of the female is way to bulky and the hip/mid area looks fat with the heavy v-like shading.  And what's that square on their bellies?

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:53 pm
About the scaling: be consistent. If for example you scale your sprites and assets to make one pixel appear as a 2x2 square on the screen but the characters can still move by 1 (screen)pixel it will look weird most of the time. The smallest possible movement would then be 2 pixels on the screen.
Some games still allow the camera to move freely without taking the scaling into consideration though, which can look very smooth

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 05:36:08 pm
Thanks for the feedback everybody :)
I'll keep in mind what you said about scaling, japie81, thanks for the advice :)
I've made small changes to the sprites (mostly to the female version thou), so is there still something i can improve about them?

Offline Trotom

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 09:12:03 pm
So I've tried creating tiles for rpg and this is what i got:

Here's version without lighting:

I forgot to scale the images, but they are meant to be viewed scaled-up (200%).
I want polish these tiles, because i have plans that these tiles will be repeated a lot (and i mean A LOT) of times.
The light will be coming from something like torch or some similar type of object.
The player will be added to this image once I'll get a decent sprite that is not nude.

So ... I know that It is not perfect, so just tell me what is wrong with it, and I'll hopefully learn from it. I'm thankful for any critique.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 09:25:09 pm
You need to give the walls and ground a lot more variety in colors and details, I know its a work in progress, but keep this in mind for the future. If the player is going to see these tiles a lot, you have to have variety, otherwise they will get bored. For example, you could put banners, rugs, tables, signs, books (on the ground), pieces of wall missing, or even glowing eyes in a hole in the wall. Just some ideas, but it looks good!