AuthorTopic: Struggling "getting started"  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Struggling "getting started"

Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 11:54:37 pm
Jams is right basically. Unless you've been trying to draw daily for a few years, shaky hands is probably just an excuse for not having practiced. If so, trying to tackle pixel art is not going to help. Just go to a good teaching website (not tutorials, as Seefour says, most of those are not going to teach much). I'll suggest Proko.com or some of Andrew Loomis' books. Studying the human form handily prepares you for almost anything.

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 12:52:22 am
Jams is right basically. Unless you've been trying to draw daily for a few years, shaky hands is probably just an excuse for not having practiced. If so, trying to tackle pixel art is not going to help. Just go to a good teaching website (not tutorials, as Seefour says, most of those are not going to teach much). I'll suggest Proko.com or some of Andrew Loomis' books. Studying the human form handily prepares you for almost anything.

i mean really...

https://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra

how is someone supposed to learn the fundamentals? What pray tell do you think he is going to find at a "teaching website"? ahaha

TUTORIALS...

if you aren't learning anything from tutorials, you aren't looking at the right ones...

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:00:58 am by Seefour »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 01:12:29 am
I think what Gil means is a tutorial will teach you how to do one thing one specific way. "How to dra stereotypical anime face." "How to draw a cube from this angle and this angle only."  "How to draw THIS nose and not how to draw A nose."

I second Gil's advice on finding a good teaching program. Proko on YouTube is very good to get you going. 

Offline Seefour

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 01:22:17 am
ok, fair.

i mean, there are tutorials on fundamentals :P

Maybe tutorials was a bad word choice on my part, idk, either way good luck!

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:23 am
Here's what I would suggest. Don't know how much of an art background you have but I had trouble with pixel art at first too. What I did was start with simple styles and limitation. I basically told myself before I start creating crazy, detailed, modern pixel art stuff, I should learn the stuff that was crazy, detailed, and modern 25 years ago. I started looking and studying NES pixel art.

One of the first projects I finished to completion was a NES sidescroller scene. The NES has a simple color palette and only small tiles to work with. You should try and make NES style characters and levels. Lol for a game you think has great character and environment art for a NES game and try and replicate it.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 03:11:28 am
Hey, I'm not saying there's no good tutorial websites, I just haven't seen any. Most tutorials just explain you "how to draw feet", instead of teaching you how to practice daily, which exercises to use, how to gauge progress, where to find good references, etc. A teacher is supposed to set you on a journey and guide you along that journey. Showing how they draw specific things and asking you to follow along is not teaching. I'm reminded of this quote by Vince Lombardi: "practice does NOT make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect".

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2016, 08:43:11 am
Haven't read all this but OP
a)post what ur working on:
we don't care how crap it is just get it up and we have a starting point.
b) work from reference.  so look at photos and copy other sprites but make some variation of them until u get a feel for it.
c) I think starting on a roughly 64x64 pixel character as easier than going too low as ur not fighting the resolution so much
d) as u progress, make edits for other people asking for help and you'll help yourself in the process.