AuthorTopic: Over-rendered huge RPG bases  (Read 2650 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Over-rendered huge RPG bases

on: December 31, 2015, 05:38:13 pm
For giggles, I'm trying to do some huge ass RPG bases, because why not? :p

I think I'm going to go for the good old mesomorph, ectomorph, endomorph or something. For now in a very generic T-pose, I'm not sure yet how I'm going to handle poses, directions, animations and all that jazz, as these are just waaaaay too big to be practical in any way.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Over-rendered huge RPG bases

Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 05:45:42 pm
One thing I noticed after you pixelized your 3d model was I think you gave too much light to the lower body, giving the impression the sprite is head on perspective with short legs.  Maybe reevaluate lighting execution.

On second look, I'm not sure you're converging your lines to a focal point strong enough to show the perspective youre going for, but maybe it's just a lighting problem
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 05:50:05 pm by Friend »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 05:58:50 pm
On second look, I'm not sure you're converging your lines to a focal point strong enough to show the perspective youre going for, but maybe it's just a lighting problem
That's the point, it's an RPG base, which doesn't have perspective, it's orthographic 45 degree down. That's why I made the 3D model, as it's very hard to find orthographic examples of anatomy :)

You can usually recognize orthographic humans, because their feet look so large :)

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:53:42 pm
You call that huge?!

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 08:56:38 pm
That's the point, it's an RPG base, which doesn't have perspective, it's orthographic 45 degree down. That's why I made the 3D model, as it's very hard to find orthographic examples of anatomy :)

You can usually recognize orthographic humans, because their feet look so large :)

huh? im confused. isn't orthographic the perspective?   how can something 3d not have perspective?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:39:23 pm
No, orthographic is not perspective. It's a projection - 3d as seen without perspective. Videogames like RPGs are often drawn orthographically because you can use straight verticle lines and not have to taper things towards a vanishing point below the floor.