AuthorTopic: 2d Development Frameworks/suits/engines  (Read 60693 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: 2d Development Frameworks/suits/engines

Reply #30 on: January 04, 2016, 03:35:02 pm
Gil, I think that interpreted language can't be faster than compiler one. And before started learn one you have to ask yourself - what for all of this? If you want to make games with open-world and high quality graphics - your way is C++. But if your target is just a small indy game (3D or 2D) - the javascript is right a decision.

It is only my mind and of course there are lot of tricks & little things which will affect the choice.
The only real bottleneck these days is on the gpu-side (unless you're writing an emulator). I have a desktop computer from 2006 with a new gfx card and it runs any modern game I tried at killer framerates.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #31 on: January 04, 2016, 03:45:22 pm
Guys, notice what I'm talking about. The performance hit of Ring 3 protection is about 20%, C++ can never ever run without Ring 3 protection, so no, C++ does NOT have 0 overhead. Javascript could, as it's safe. There's a lot of scientific research going on, because people expect that placing a VM in Ring 0 might mean that VM languages would get a 20% boost in speed, potentially making them even faster than compiled languages. This is not a claim I make, this is scientific and we'll see the results really soon, though a consumer product might be years away.

Offline Waxtor1

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 10:55:58 pm
Try monogame havent tried it yet but apparently its great for 2d games it's similar to the old xna the creator of stardew valley recommended it to me.He said that he is most likely going to use it for his next game.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Reply #33 on: March 28, 2017, 05:02:37 pm
I would suggest you to check this interesting software called Pixel Vision 8 Game Creator which I'm using it at the moment for my short game, the reason why I choose it was because it can simulate the actual 8bits game console which it can have NES, Game Boy, Master System, Game Gear and soon Pico-8 restrictions. as you can see, it's perfect for the challenge! imagine that you can create a NES game in the spirit of "Castlevania 2" or "Ducktales"!

Another good thing about this game engine is it use the lua language like with Pico-8 but with a few differences.

However, I must warn you that game engine is currently in alpha test but it will soon enter in the beta phase in few months. and for at the time of today (march 28th, 2017) it's a paid software which cost only 10$ but they will have the free version once they're in beta phase.

Well, i hope it will help you guy to find your ideal game engine :)

Offline Arethrid

• @CYON4D
    • CYON4D
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/29255.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: July 31, 2018, 09:35:59 pm
I would also suggest MonoGame with C# which is a spiritual and structural successor of the legendary XNA Framework.
Plus Unity is also using MonoGame so if you learn it you can use the knowledge in Unity as well.

Offline encelo

• encelo
    • View Profile
    • nCine - A multi-platform 2D game engine

Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 01:37:30 am
For all my prototypes and experiments I use nCine, my 2D multi-platform engine and framework.
It supports Linux, Windows, macOS, Android and Emscripten and it can optionally use Lua for scripting.
It's written in C++ and after some years of developing it seems pretty capable and quite fast when dealing with sprites.  ;)

Have a look at this web test for an example.