Critique > Devlogs & Projects

2d Development Frameworks/suits/engines

<< < (6/8) > >>

Seefour:
will keep that in mind moving forward, thanks for the information :)

Kurz:
Oh, nice theme!

In my opinion the JavaScript is a best language for casual game-development. Of course it is not so fast as C++ BUT - I repeat myself - it is good for casual games. Also there are lot of game engines written on pure JS.
Plus I would recommended to look at Phaser game engine which is use WebGL (extremely fast thing).

Gil:

--- Quote from: Kurz on January 04, 2016, 07:29:10 am ---Of course it is not so fast as C++
--- End quote ---
Eh, give it a couple of years and Javascript is just as fast (compare to Java or C# being "slow" and now being just as fast as the compiled languages). In fact, there's reasons to believe Javascript could actually run faster than C++, if we were to put the Javascript engine in Ring 0 (no need for protecting a safe language). Javascript is about 80% as efficient as C++, Ring 0 would make it 20% faster (which, if you do the math, makes Javascript about 5% faster than C++). This is all very napkin-calculated, but it should be about right.

After all, we live in a world where for every 10 lines of code written, like 8 of those are Javascript, while less than 1 is an unsafe language like C or C++, there's a lot of incentive for companies to get it right.

Kurz:
Gil, I think that interpreted language can't be faster than compiler one. And before started learn one you have to ask yourself - what for all of this? If you want to make games with open-world and high quality graphics - your way is C++. But if your target is just a small indy game (3D or 2D) - the javascript is right a decision.

It is only my mind and of course there are lot of tricks & little things which will affect the choice.

API-Beast:
@Gil: C++ has literally zero performance and memory overhead, going below zero is impossible, so you can't go faster than multi-threaded and heavily optimized C++ code. In the best case you have a JIT compiler that compiles the loop into the exact same machine code as the C++ compiler does, but the JIT compiler itself has execution time, e.g. is overhead.

That said, what really matters is the code itself, not the language it is written in. If you execute something 1.000.000 times the overhead of the JIT compiler becomes trivial. Use the language you can write good code in.

According to this test for counting prime numbers in a range is C about 4 times as fast as Javascript (in Node). Which is really really good already, Ruby and PHP are both 6 times slower than Javascript.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version