AuthorTopic: [WIP] Knight Character  (Read 6504 times)

Offline Rhino

• View Profile

[WIP] Knight Character

on: December 29, 2015, 09:47:46 pm
Hey guys!

I'm planning on using these for a future game I'm currently working on. It'll be a metroidvania game, with sprites kinda based on the classics Castlevanias. I've been working hard on the main character and I would like some ideas on how to improve it, especially on the metal parts (I'm not very good at picking up colours for metals or even and shading them haha). Also, I'm trying to remove as much outlines as I can (I want the sprites to look as clean as possible :P).

The armour is based on Gabriel Belmont's haha.

Older version: far left
Most recent version: far right

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Knight Character

Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 11:37:37 pm

here's a knight I made. Your metal doesn't look too bad actually, and i prefer the outlines on the current sprite you have, but if you are going to try to make it as realistic as you can, make it really smooth, with harsh shadows. I hope this helps in someway.

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 11:46:06 pm
Quick Opinion: The older version helps the character stick out a lot more, makes it look a lot more video-gamey and has a nice aesthetic. The newer version blends with the character's face and hair a lot more.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:30 pm
You don't even know how far up my alley this is.
Made some quick edits to illustrate some of the larger issues you're facing. Sadly it's really late and I should be sleeping, so I didn't get to finish the edit, but don't worry I'll work on it tomorrow again.

Your hair and face were very messy and I think I cleared up a few unnecessary colours.
I pushed his chest further forward to imply how strong he is.
I also applied some rules to help differentiate from things closer and further, in this case for further things to not have as much contrast, but I'll need to find a way to give the metal shine without that contrast tomorrow.
Mostly this was a clean up job focusing on clusters, so try to look at my changes and see if you can spot where I've chosen to group my pixels and for what reason.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Rhino

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 01:35:35 am
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

I like to search online for colour palettes (or even rip it from other sprites) and try them to see if they fit. I also use photoshop a lot to apply some contrast when necessary haha. :P

You don't even know how far up my alley this is.
Made some quick edits to illustrate some of the larger issues you're facing. Sadly it's really late and I should be sleeping, so I didn't get to finish the edit, but don't worry I'll work on it tomorrow again.

Your hair and face were very messy and I think I cleared up a few unnecessary colours.
I pushed his chest further forward to imply how strong he is.
I also applied some rules to help differentiate from things closer and further, in this case for further things to not have as much contrast, but I'll need to find a way to give the metal shine without that contrast tomorrow.
Mostly this was a clean up job focusing on clusters, so try to look at my changes and see if you can spot where I've chosen to group my pixels and for what reason.

I checked your edit and it looks pretty clean on some parts. Thank you! :)

I kept some parts of my sprite with some of your changes and this is what I've got so far:

When working on humanoids, I usually draw everything above a naked body so I know exactly where to draw some clothings/acessories or even use it again when drawing other humanoids. I don't know if this is a good technique, but most of the time it gets the job done haha. I'm currently working on updating to remove most of the outlines on most of my sprites (already did it on the legs and on the head, as you can see below).

This is the "torso sketch" I created:

I did the same on the legs:

Head:

Just a quick question: dithering the hair is a good idea?

EDIT:

New torso:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:10:31 am by Rhino »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 08:56:56 am
I like the hair dither in this case. Not sure if you'll be able to repeat that for any other sprites, it might not work for some of them. Also, when you'll animate him, you'll curse that dither to hell. A trick lots of studios use is to have the details (like hair dither) for still frames, but skip that during animations, which works really well.

Offline Rhino

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:16 pm
I like the hair dither in this case. Not sure if you'll be able to repeat that for any other sprites, it might not work for some of them. Also, when you'll animate him, you'll curse that dither to hell. A trick lots of studios use is to have the details (like hair dither) for still frames, but skip that during animations, which works really well.

Yeah, I noticed that today while trying to create a hurt animation for him. Not really sure if the hair is okay in this case:

Changed his belt (I think it looks right now) and a few pixels. His right hand (our left) kind of doesn't really look right to me, but it was the best I could do. I don't know, it feels kinda weird. Also, I'm trying to make his animation smoother (gonna be tricky, but I'm up to it haha).

Any comments on how to improve it? :D

Offline Neophos

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 08:46:37 pm
Actually, I would recommend against making the animation smoother. Getting hurt, especially in a way that is implied here (I'm guessing being hit by other knights or monsters), is nothing something you do smoothly, it's snap reactions and instant reflexes. I think it would better, as in more painful and better conveying that, to have a very fast animation to an exaggerated pose instead of a smooth leaning back on getting hurt.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 08:51:17 pm
Motion that starts from the hips is usually less stiff and more convincing as most motion in real life originates there. That is, unless, you specifically indicate where he's being hit and pull from there. Right now, I'm having a hard time reading where the force comes from.

Offline Rhino

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 03:06:22 am
Actually, I would recommend against making the animation smoother. Getting hurt, especially in a way that is implied here (I'm guessing being hit by other knights or monsters), is nothing something you do smoothly, it's snap reactions and instant reflexes. I think it would better, as in more painful and better conveying that, to have a very fast animation to an exaggerated pose instead of a smooth leaning back on getting hurt.

Oh, I've always thought that hurt animations required a lot of frames, especially when you have a very detailed sprite. The same would applies to walking/running animations.

Also, when should I use more frames than others? When ducking? Jumping? Dashing?

Btw, my idea was a front collision haha. Well, I added a few frames to it and here is what I've got so far:

For me it looks pretty "smooth" and solid at the same time. I was checking on some hurt animations online and most of them use that "kickback effect" by moving 1 pixel to the sides, so it looks like the attack is coming from the front. Any comments on how to improve? :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:19:43 am by Rhino »