AuthorTopic: First Pixeling in a year [C+C]  (Read 7336 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: First Pixeling in a year [C+C]

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 12:03:55 pm
That looks awesome man :)

This whole thread has been solid gold, I'll be studying some of it myself for a time to come

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 02:30:34 pm
@Ambivorous
You made me realize one of my biggest mistakes. The eyes were above the ears by 1 pixel, which broke a lot of the perspective! I also changed the stance a bit, to be more dramatic, opening the chest, and etc. This is what I came up with so far, but the problem here is that the stance is showing a lot more turned to the side, while the head is still face forward, looks kind of awkward to me.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 04:25:04 pm
Atnas' edit is really wonderful, but the pose still feels generic. Compare it to something like Lucca:
Was just playing Chrono Trigger again a few months ago. Was totally nerd-crushing over Lucca the whole time. :'D
She had the best sprites in the game, I think. They were all great and full of character, hahah! =)

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 04:29:30 pm
Actually, what I learned about posing at the best option is really to have an action figure or something to pose in order to get a great body pose, then studying it to make sure everything looks good. I might have to pick up a figma figure and pose it for animations haha

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 05:20:10 pm
That's why I need to learn to properly use a 3D tool, so I can rig and pose a bunch of different models to study simplified models.

I'd move the ears up another pixel I think. Have you tried playing with the outlines a bit more? I feel like you should move towards eliminating them in some parts, so they don't hug the whole sprite.

Offline Night

• exidelo
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26118.htm
    • Exidelo
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 07:10:14 pm
I was intrigued and decided to make my own edit, maybe it can give you some ideas.
There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 01, 2016, 06:54:40 pm
I want to add that my edit was under the assumption you weren't actually attempting to draw it in 'correct' perspective, and were just trying to give enough of an illusion of perspective to help it fit in with tiles. But your more recent edits lead me to believe you don't want it to be overly symbolic.

You can approach this different ways, but let's look at the Breath of Fire series.

Here you can see they didn't bother at all. It works, because it's symbolic. Most RPGs of this era did the same thing. Faces are directly facing the camera, feet are staggered on top of a shadow to give the illusion they belong in a world drawn from a birds eye view. You do not see the curvature of the waist, the top of the head, nothing. It's as if they're all standing on a very steep incline.

Breath of Fire IV is a beautiful game. A lot of background elements in this game are actually 3d models. So it makes sense they would attempt to project the sprites as if they were 3D. You see the tops of the heads, the tops of the shoulders, and as Ambivorous noted, you give the tops of objects more space and the fronts of them less.

So which direction are you aiming for, Digivoxel?

@Night: I really enjoy that edit. It also highlights that Digivoxel's sprite's face and huge forehead are keeping it in musclebaby territory.

Offline Digivoxel

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 01, 2016, 09:51:08 pm
So which direction are you aiming for, Digivoxel?

Hmm... Well, I can say for certain the game wouldn't contain any 3D objects. Everything would be done in pixel art. So I guess the real thing here is how the actual game's objects, like buildings, trees and etc would be laid out. I guess my biggest inspiration would be Golden Sun, but a little more space between objects for fighting/etc. I love the aesthetic in Golden Sun, and this was kind of the original approach.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #18 on: January 02, 2016, 11:27:01 pm
Alright, I finally figured out how to render 3D stuff and animate it, etc. I'll do the female another day probably, but here's the male orthographic model with a centered light source: