AuthorTopic: [WIP][C&C] Knight in shining armor  (Read 4214 times)

Offline tpendle

• View Profile

[WIP][C&C] Knight in shining armor

on: December 26, 2015, 05:51:59 pm
Hi all,

I'm trying concoct a knight pixel character. I'm pretty happy with what I got so far, but I need your help to turn this guy's style up to 11. Any advice is welcome (especially on shading/colors), and any corrections you want to make are even... welcome-er!

Here is the man of the hour:

Thanks in advance, folks :)

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C] Knight in shining armor

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 11:26:34 pm
Wow very stylish Sprite. I might simply tweak around the colors a bit. Mainly trying to differentiate slightly better contrast between similar colors, better contrast overall. Though perhaps it's fine as is if it'll be viewed at greater than1x

Offline Great Tree

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:07:05 am
Wow very stylish Sprite. I might simply tweak around the colors a bit. Mainly trying to differentiate slightly better contrast between similar colors, better contrast overall. Though perhaps it's fine as is if it'll be viewed at greater than1x

Going off this, I think this is an excellent sprite.

I think you could fix the issue by making the cape and plume a brighter shade of red so that it sticks out from the body.
Amateur Pixel Artist

Offline tpendle

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:32:49 pm
@Friend: It will be viewed at more than 1x but even so, I see what you mean. Particularly around the crotch area because of the sword, but I'm not sure what I can do, maybe just move the sword to his back or something? I think there's just too much going on in that area, thanks for the advice I'll think on it.. :)

@Great Tree: I'm a relative beginner so that means a lot, thanks. I'll see what he looks like with a brighter cape and plume (the dark red almost looks brown etc.. at smaller resolution). Good spot!

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 07:04:17 pm
Hey man, cool stuff. Few things to keep in mind to help you out:

To get the sword to stand out more you can increase the number of pixels there; increase brightness, saturation and contrast; and darken the area behind it. I also moved the scabbard to a different angle that helps the sword stand out by being further away from his leg.
Metal has a lot of contrast, so add some in. I used a light, yellowish colour as my bright (because of reflections from the sun); a light and darker blue (sky reflections); and a nice dark, earthy brown (ground reflections) and used them where appropriate.
I reduced a lot of colours with low brightness and varying hues. You'll find you can often get away with very few different colours in shadows.
Added a lighter colour (stolen from the new yellow shadow colour, which is an orange) and used that to highlight the plume in the sunlight.
* may contain misinformation

Offline tpendle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 09:08:47 pm
@Ambivorous: Nice! That's just what I needed. Although in the meantime I went on and went and worked on the advice those guys/gals gave me before :p

I sent my knight to the gym and changed the colors a bit (gloves, yay or nay?), but I think I'll use your colours with this new image.

This stuff about using coloured shadows and highlights is exactly the kind of tip/trick I need to bring my art to a new level, your description has helped already, but do you know have a particular online tutorial, article etc that might be able to add to it?

Thanks a lot for the touch-up, as someone who has little to no artistic background, it helps to be able to visualize the C&C!  :y:

Offline Neophos

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 09:34:10 pm
I prefer the first arms, they gave a very unique look.

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 09:46:45 pm
Cool man, glad I could help.

I actually used to have little to no artistic background about a year ago as well, so I know the struggles of visualising advice. Further, when I make edits I try to always just touch on only a few things so that people don't get overloaded with new information. You specifically asked for shading and colours, so that's what I focused on.

As far as tips/tricks go... haha. Yeah, I really wish there was an easy way to just read a tutorial and suddenly be good. :P But alas no, there is no cheat code. You can definitely learn a thing or two, and it won't hurt to read up on things, but you actually need to just wake your brain up with ritualistic practice to take art to the next level.
How I achieved this was through my value studies and subsequent thumbnail studies. I also do a lot of sketching and I make of edits of others' pixel art here on Pixelation to fix small things like poor clusters.

What I can give you is some cheat sheet stuff to read that should stick in your mind and help out so you know what to look for when you're practicing. This forum's Arne made an art tutorial that is actually just amazing. I used to use this, and it's useful for a lot of things, but you will need to put all of these concepts into actual practice and observe them in real life in order for it to sink in.

Then there are a million pixel art tutorials out there. Look up on stuff like banding, noise, pillow shading and palettes. Cure made a nice tutorial over on PixelJoint that covers a lot.

But more importantly, and above all else, make sure you're enjoying yourself when you do your art and never be too harsh on yourself.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 11:29:30 pm
i agree with neophos.

aaand amviorous's edit is sick :)   Hope you dont mind i did a little edit, trying to make it more readable at 1x.  basically I tried to eliminate pixel noise and simplify.  improve contrast too.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 11:56:59 pm
A change in BG color might help as well.