AuthorTopic: New guy with a "simple" question  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Zippo987

• View Profile

New guy with a "simple" question

on: December 22, 2015, 08:54:48 pm
I am very new to pixel art. Though I have messed around with it before (nothing impressive), I would like to learn as much as possible before jumping in. What are some of the most recommended things to start practicing, for anyone just beginning? Or should I just go for it and let experience and critique be my only lessons? I understand that there are tutorials out there, but I see those more as a tool (doesn't help much if I don't know what I'm really doing in the first place). Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Logodum

• View Profile

Re: New guy with a "simple" question

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 09:48:28 pm
I am not experienced in pixel art as many other memebers, but i can give some advice.

I started making sprites for a Terraria mod and my first work was a resprite. It was really bad, but i just enjoyed the process of making such stuff and this is how i got into pixel art. I learned how to animate different mobs, items and i was free to use my imagination. The only thing that i had to consider, was the art style of sprites sprites (black outline for example). Size and color were mostly free for the artist. Those were fun times and i got pretty decent knowledge.

After some updates, the modding community went down and i went onto some android games. I choosed Pixel Dungeon, whit its friendly modding community and do sprite work for mods even today. Pixel Dungeon had some cardinal changes to the way i should make sprites. Those were the tiles/items/mobs sprites, that were only 16x16 pixels max. Making items, good looking mobs and animations- it was a big challenge that i sucessfully mastered and became really good at small sized sprites.

Then i tried some different different sprites  "styles" and working on perspective. Now i am working on some big projects that can be called pixel ART and it's pretty cool to try out new things.

As you can tell, i was learning almost all by myself, but used some examples to learn animation (moving especially), shading was easy for me . It is only a little bit more than a year, since i started doing pixel art, so i have a long way to go and you have a long path as well. Feel free to learn any way you want and you will become a great pixel artist. I belive in you )

Best wishes
Pavel