AuthorTopic: 3/4 perspective house wip (city/town tileset)  (Read 3310 times)

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

3/4 perspective house wip (city/town tileset)

on: December 18, 2015, 02:55:21 am
Before I start, this is what I have

and this is the reference I picked, which I follow loosely, but close enough that the final shape of the house will be the same

I'm trying to have a style similar to Mother 3. (simplified textures and details) I placed the main character in front of the house to better demonstrate the scale. I'm struggling with the perspective a bit right now though, especially that triangle structure  above the 2 pillars.

Any tips to better understand this perspective and make it work or does it all come with practice, experience, and tweaking? Also, the door should be pushed back further in like in my reference but I don't understand how I'm supposed to make it look that way with this view.

Edit:

I adjusted the perspective. Is it better or?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 08:31:01 pm by oxysoft »

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Re: 3/4 perspective house wip (city/town tileset)

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 12:51:56 am
Pretty big update

I need some serious c+c. Trying to get the shape/silhouette of the whole thing done before doing any kind of texture. I still feel like the perspective is wrong though :/
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:13:48 am by oxysoft »

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 01:38:04 am
It's looking good. I would suggest extending the roof on the porch (over the door) back and putting a roof on the rest of the house. I would use a little more contrast in my colors, but it's ok how it is right now. Also, if your light is coming from the top right, then the highlights on the garage panels would be in the bottom and left side. The left of the overhang above the window shouldn't have as many highlights, if you make it darker, it will make it pop out more. For detail, I would detail the doors, put on shingles, and make the outside wall of your house have bricks or wood panels. You also need to put more shade where parts come out and you definitely need more contrast on the pillars.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 01:36:59 am
What's tripping everything up is the projective inconsistency. On half of it you have a close 3/4 projection, and on the other you're introducing a vanishing point. It's basically saying surfaces that should be parallel are not, and some surfaces are special and ignore the fabric of game spacetime. So the biggest fix will be to remove all vanishing points, which by their nature make any sort of top down gameplay impractical. Second I would squash the y a tad since it would be more appropriate to see more of the tops of things than the sides.

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 04:32:53 am
What's tripping everything up is the projective inconsistency. On half of it you have a close 3/4 projection, and on the other you're introducing a vanishing point. It's basically saying surfaces that should be parallel are not, and some surfaces are special and ignore the fabric of game spacetime. So the biggest fix will be to remove all vanishing points, which by their nature make any sort of top down gameplay impractical. Second I would squash the y a tad since it would be more appropriate to see more of the tops of things than the sides.

That makes a lot of sense, I did not even think about it. Is there a general rule/ratio to go by for the y? example:

Where should the slope further back begin and how steep should it be? Right now I have it begin on the y where the first slope ends and is as steep as the first one.

and also, what are the best games to study for this perspective? I know it was highly popular in old RPGs but which ones are best for study?

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 04:43:03 pm
And if you wanted a vanishing point, keep it consistent.  I always find it helpful in things like this to focus on the roof line.  Then everything falls into place better.  I had to squeeze, shrink and stretch to get the roof to line up.

Edit:

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 05:45:06 am
And if you wanted a vanishing point, keep it consistent.  I always find it helpful in things like this to focus on the roof line.  Then everything falls into place better.  I had to squeeze, shrink and stretch to get the roof to line up.

Edit:

Cool changes, you gave me some ideas with that. I think I'm gonna go with the regular 3/4 perspective because I think it will make more sense in the long run. I tried to incorporate those shadows to better the presentations in the meantime, removed the window on the second floor until I'm good with the base structure of the house, and I copy pasted the small roof held by the two pillars and stretched it for the main roof parts (as a quick and dirty temporary hack)

I'm running into a bit of a problem right now though: I try to keep all slopes at fixed steps to keep everything looking tight and "polished" but it's becoming very very difficult to make everything fall into place and abid by this rule both at the same time. (i.e the roof) Any idea what I should do with this? As far as I know, the only solution is to antialias stuff but I'd like to know all my options before resorting to that...